1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by colleenschicken, Jun 24, 2016.

1. colleenschicken

colleenschicken New Egg

Jun 22, 2016
    Hi, i have four week and 1 day old chicks. I wanted to start giving them treats and don't know what to give them. They have chick grit available to them at all times along with their normal feed. Can anyone tell me what treats i can start giving them?

2. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Raisons, finely chopped. They will go gaga!

3. Stephine

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Wait, how old are they? Four weeks or one week or one day? I just read one day old... Raisins are good for tiny ones, but if the chicks are older already, you can give them all kinds of things. Dried mealworns are another thing chicks will go crazy about. If they are still quite small you should break them in pieces for them so they can actually eat them and not just yank them out of each others beaks. I started with these high value treats because I want my chicks to come when called. Otherwise, once they're over ten days or so, fresh leafy greens and weeds from the garden, chopped finely and mixed with a bit of buttermilk or yogurt and some flaked oats are a standard here, or just nice sow thistles or young mustard plants, etc, with roots and soil, or scrambled egg for protein. Slugs are good, too, if you have them :eek:)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If they were with mom out in the barn yard from the first they would be eating anything she showed them, and it would not be finely chopped. They would be learning how to break it up for themselves. Besides learning how to handle larger pieces there is the entertainment for them and watching them for you.

5. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I don't give mine junk treats -- no scratch for them. When I give them treats, I want the treat to have nutritional value, but they're not the least bit interested in vegetables or leafy greens. I'll hard-boil some eggs and chunk them up with a pastry cutter so they're crumble-size. They go nuts for the eggs. I've been giving them the egg treat about once a week since they were a few days old. They go nuts, like savannah vultures on a carcass.

6. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]mix some tuna in with those eggs and see them go even nuttier!
    My feathered kids just love their tuna and eggs treat.
    The only thing I think they love more is plain greek yogurt.

7. Stephine

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Finely chopped is so that they actually get to eat the treat. If I were to give my chicks whole raisins, they would have a frantic chase in which they rip the raisin out of each others beaks and the weaker ones/lower in the pecking order get nothing. Same for greens, in fact ANY thing small enough to be carried in their beak even if it's not food, will lead to a mad chase ....

8. colleenschicken

colleenschicken New Egg

Jun 22, 2016
    The chicks will be five weeks old on the 30th, Thanks for your help

9. sunshineacre

sunshineacre Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2016
    We have been feeding ours mealworms since they were a week old and they love them! Check out this cute video! We have our own mealworm farm here so constant supply is available!

Grace
    http://sunshineacre.com

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by