Chick Treats

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gracie_Chickie, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Gracie_Chickie

Gracie_Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Some of our chicks are almost 2 weeks old and the others about 1 week. When will they be old enough to start getting treats?

So far the only treats we have been giving them are live crickets and grasshoppers. Are they bad for our chicks?[​IMG]

2. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    The only prerequiste for feeding anything other than their normal feed is grit. They MUST have it in order to "chew" anything else you may give them.

I bought the Bird Grit and Gravel at Wal-Mart when my girls first started getting anything other than their chick starter. It is perfect for small chicks. Keep it available for them at all times, you will be amazed at how many times a day you'll find them pecking at it.

Now that my girls are older I buy playsand from the Home Depot, wash it, and leave it out in a separate container for them. I still put in a box or two of the Bird Grit and Gravel with it.

BTW, I love your name. It is my favorite name, and, please don't be offended as it is a compliment, I named my favorite hen Gracie.[​IMG] I had to reply to your querry, I hope I helped.

3. Gracie_Chickie

Gracie_Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Thankyou Ma

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi Gracie,

Check your chick feed bag, it may already have grit mixed in it. I used Dumor Chick Starter and grit was included in the ingredients but I also had a plastic saucer that I kept play sand in for when I gave them treats!

Dawn

5. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Grit is in the feed to help the chicks break it down. If you give them anything other than commercial feed, you need the extra grit.

They are not too young for occasional treats. There are several topics on chick treats in this section. Use the Search functions and you should find lots of replies and ideas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by