Chick Treats

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CowboyColby, Jun 24, 2010.

1. CowboyColby

CowboyColby In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    What are some good chick treats you guys use? Mine are 2 weeks old. Should I just wait till they are older? They are only getting chick starter currently.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My two week old chicks are eating bugs (grasshoppers & crickets), wild strawberries, cheerios and chopped hard boiled egg. Keep in mind that they will need grit once they are eating things other than their chick starter. For now I'm using parakeet grit, the kind without added calcium. Once they are going outside on a more regular basis I know they will find their own grit.
    Oh and I also occassionally dig up a clod of dirt and throw it in the brooder for them to have fun with. I remove any long roots that they may choke on.
    I forgot - expect them to be afraid of new foods. Just leave it in there with them for awhile and they'll overcome their fears. Also, another great treat that my big chickens enjoyed as chicks was millet strands (the kind sold for parakeets). I started taking the seed pods off the stem though after one little piggie tried to eat the whole stem.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  3. cterbizan

cterbizan Songster

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    you can give them organic yogurt, vegetables, scramble eggs, etc.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Ooooh! I see these at the feed store and remember giving them to a parakeet I had about 3 millennia ago.... and I've wondered if they'd be suitable for chicks and/or chickens. Thanks!

5. CowboyColby

Jun 17, 2010
    So before I feed them anything but the starter I need to give them grit? I'm guessing my feedstore has this?

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Some feedstores sell chick grit. Others only sell the grit suitable for adult birds; much too large for chicks. If you can't find chick grit at the feedstore, just check the pet section of your local walmart. They'll have parakeet grit which works just fine. Just read the label to make sure it doesn't have added calcium.

7. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    one more thing to add about chick grit. Don't be put off by the color. The chick grit my feed store sells is AQUA blue, and it looked more like fishtank pebbles then anything. I was worried when I saw the color, but all is fine, not sure how they get the colors.. But my girls are still alive so must not be dangerous [​IMG]

8. CowboyColby

Jun 17, 2010
    Thats funny. blue grit never heard or seen it.

9. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Songster

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    The chick grit I buy at Wilco is pinkish-red and smells of anise. I think they use that for chicks to act as an attractant. You can also use play sand if you have it around.

10. 4theloveofhens

4theloveofhens Songster

May 26, 2010
    do you have to give grit if they are 6 weeks or older? i'm stubborn and not really wanting to buy "grit". my 4 week old chicks are treat-less unless the occasional ant get's lost and enters the halfway house of doom...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by