chick treats

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MattMansChickens, Jun 9, 2011.

1. MattMansChickens

MattMansChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Canada
    what are a list of treats that are good to give baby chicks?

2. MattMansChickens

May 25, 2011
    Canada
    my chicks are 4 days old.

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Personally I'd wait until they were at least a couple of weeks old until I started treats, but then again, you're going to have others post "well, if they were with their mamas, they'd be out at three days old eating bugs and worms!" Which is true [​IMG] First of all, make sure you offer chick grit when you begin feeding anything other than their starter feed. You can get chick grit at a feed store, or you can also use construction sand (not play sand). I wouldn't use parakeet/pet bird grit b/c of the added calcium. If your soil is rocky/pebbly enough, you can dig up some of that and offer it as well. My brooder raised babies never had commercial grit b/c my soil is very rocky, and I'd give them dirt in a container and make sure there was plenty of little, tiny pebbles in it.

Anyway, you can offer plain, unflavored yogurt and scrambled/mashed up boiled egg, even without the grit. Don't be surprised if they absolutely won't touch it and maybe even go screaming and running from it at first. That's normal. It can take several tries until one chick is brave enough to taste the treat. Usually once one does it, the rest will follow. Later, once they've started on grit, you can try crickets/grasshoppers, mealworms, cut up grapes, peas, corn (I'm trying to think of things that won't be too messy in a brooder), tomatoes, spinach, kale, mustard or turnip greens, cabbage. . . then when they get older it's kind of no-holds barred, within reason [​IMG]

Just make sure not too give them too much at a time. They're growing quickly and need all the nutrients in their starter food first. But it is fun to watch a good game of food running!

4. MattMansChickens

May 25, 2011
    Canada
    ok., thanks! i took some ground buckwheat and hulled oats, for porridge, and mixed it together, after pulverizing the oats with a meat tenderizer. they scratch for this in the shavings. is sand a good grit?

5. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    It needs to be coarse sand, not fine, soft stuff, like playbox sand. It has to be coarse enough to grind down the foods other than the starter. Use Google Images and you can see the difference.

6. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    My chicks LOVE mealworms! I started feeding them those at 2 weeks [​IMG]

7. HoneyNBenNKids

HoneyNBenNKids Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Ours are not a week ish old and they're eating crickets. The crickets are getting into the brooder as it's in the garage. They'll find one, grab it and run with it. It's a good 12 minutes for the cricket to be torn to bits as it's constantly being taken from the beak of another chick. Surprisingly, our cornish cross are normally the ones that 'win' and gulp it down. It's funny!

Anyone know of a bulk form of mealworms?

Honey

8. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
  9. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    My chicks just love to eat dandelions, and we have alot of them, it made my mom really happy!!! :p

10. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    r

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by