Chick Treats

2seth2

Songster
8 Years
Nov 6, 2011
Reno,NV
I have some 3 week old chicks and am wondering what treat/ toys i could give them. Thank you for your help.

Mine love the chick blocks that you can get from TSC. One batch of chicks has practically eaten the whole thing and the others have only eaten about 1/3. If you have room, you can put a couple of roosting bars in the brooder. The kids love jumping up on them and flapping their little wings. A couple have taken to napping on the roosts too! If you have a couple of rocks, they will play "Queen of the Rock" too. They grow up soo fast!
There is another post about food snacks - I think they recommended soft things first, cooked food in small pieces, like egg yolks. Mine haven't shown any interest in anything but chick kibble yet.

Mine get a treat every day. So far they have had grapes, strawberries, tomatoes, lettuce, apples, and dried meal worms. I also give them small pieces of grass, dandelions, and marigolds. They all run when they see me coming with their treat.

I put a bowl of CHICK grit in the brooder when they are about 1 week old. Then a couple of days latter I start giving them treats a couple days latter. I usually give them crushed cheerios for their first treat. Keep in mind that they need to maintain a balanced diet. Treats should only make up 5% - 10% of their daily diet. The other 90% - 95% should be chick starter feed.

Some of the chicks we have had really like plain yogurt. We just put some in a small dish and they love it. It tends to get all over though, but they really seem to like it and the calcium is good for them. I still give them some for extra calcium as older hens also.

How old do the baby chicks need to be to have cucumber peels or lettuce, or swiss chard. Greens....

Dry meal worms? how old.

Back
Top Bottom