Chick Treats

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2seth2, Mar 25, 2012.

  1. 2seth2

    2seth2 Chillin' With My Peeps

    Nov 6, 2011
    Reno,NV
    I have some 3 week old chicks and am wondering what treat/ toys i could give them. Thank you for your help.
     
  2. tamberlin

    tamberlin Chillin' With My Peeps

    171
    2
    106
    Nov 18, 2010
    Framingham MA
    Mine love the chick blocks that you can get from TSC. One batch of chicks has practically eaten the whole thing and the others have only eaten about 1/3. If you have room, you can put a couple of roosting bars in the brooder. The kids love jumping up on them and flapping their little wings. A couple have taken to napping on the roosts too! If you have a couple of rocks, they will play "Queen of the Rock" too. They grow up soo fast!
    There is another post about food snacks - I think they recommended soft things first, cooked food in small pieces, like egg yolks. Mine haven't shown any interest in anything but chick kibble yet.
     
  3. Nslangton

    Nslangton Chillin' With My Peeps

    201
    9
    91
    Jan 19, 2012
    Mine get a treat every day. So far they have had grapes, strawberries, tomatoes, lettuce, apples, and dried meal worms. I also give them small pieces of grass, dandelions, and marigolds. They all run when they see me coming with their treat.
     
  4. mamahenkatie

    mamahenkatie New Egg

    4
    0
    8
    Mar 25, 2012
    How old were the chicks when you began giving them real food treats?
     
  5. felidaet

    felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

    987
    7
    141
    Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I put a bowl of CHICK grit in the brooder when they are about 1 week old. Then a couple of days latter I start giving them treats a couple days latter. I usually give them crushed cheerios for their first treat. Keep in mind that they need to maintain a balanced diet. Treats should only make up 5% - 10% of their daily diet. The other 90% - 95% should be chick starter feed.
     
  6. gillianmomx5

    gillianmomx5 Out Of The Brooder

    23
    0
    32
    Jan 30, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Some of the chicks we have had really like plain yogurt. We just put some in a small dish and they love it. It tends to get all over though, but they really seem to like it and the calcium is good for them. I still give them some for extra calcium as older hens also.
     
  7. chicklover16

    chicklover16 queen of flirts

    5,422
    12
    233
    Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    worms, soft fruits and vegetables.
     
  8. RuidosoBill

    RuidosoBill New Egg

    5
    0
    7
    Feb 26, 2012
    How old do the baby chicks need to be to have cucumber peels or lettuce, or swiss chard. Greens....

    Dry meal worms? how old.
     
  9. chicklover16

    chicklover16 queen of flirts

    5,422
    12
    233
    Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I waited unill they where a week and a half before giving them worms, two weeks before giving them veggies.
     
  10. mamahenkatie

    mamahenkatie New Egg

    4
    0
    8
    Mar 25, 2012
    Thanks!! I can't wait to start giving my babies a treat! I put a chick cake from TSC in today for a couple hours..[​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by