Chick treats

beeksnfeet

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 29, 2012
IL/WI border
I just went over the Treat Chart and found it to be wonderful! Our babies are 3 weeks old and seem to be looking for something different. Can I give them anything off the chart without having to give them grit too? Or do I need to start the grit even if the treat is soft, like strawberry or cottage cheese?

A soft food like cottage cheese that breaks a part under just a little pressure is fine. But why not give them some grit to chew with? Sand or gravel isn't too hard to come by. That way you don't have to worry about is it soft enough.

Thanks so much. I do agree with you about the sand or grit, just wasn't able to get out and get some. Then today, we went to Farm and Fleet to pick up our fencing and were so disappointed. Not only do they not carry the size fencing we were looking for, they had very little product pertaining to chicks. No chick grit at all. And to top it off we had called first to make sure they had the fence we needed and the chickie supplies too! We were assured they had both. But they did not, and one worker even told us that they don't stock the size fence we want. Never have! Oh well, could be worse. Now I'm going to find a Tractor Supply some where. I can't imagine them without chick grit! Thanks again!

Get a large pan and fill it with dirt. That will cover two things, the small stones they will use as grit and it will also give them a place to dust bath. I make such a dust bath for mine when they are a week or so old. The White Rocks I got last year used it and for a while I couldn't tell what color they were. Once the novelty wore off they returned to their normal color.

You're never gonna believe this, but I have no dirt!!! We are the part of Northern Illinois that had 7" of rain in one day, so right now I have MUD.......lots and lots of mud...........I will get some during the week once the sun comes out (I hope) and starts to dry things out. My buff orps were 'bathing' in the pine shaving last night and scared the beegeezus out of me. I thought the one was having a seizure. When she was finished, the other 2 did the same thing. The White Rocks haven't done it yet but I'm sure their time is coming soon. Grit is coming tomorrow. When the ground dries a bit & I can gather some up, they will be all set. Since you have White Rocks, can you tell me if it is normal for them to look kind of goofy? My 2 girls are 2 1/2 wks old and feathers are coming in everywhere. It seems like they are pulling out fluff, so feathers can come out. I can see alot of pinkish/red skin through their feathers. They are not fighting or attacking each other. Is it just that they are so light in color? The buffs do the same, but their feathers and skin seems to blend together. Maybe I'm just being silly, but they look pathetic to me.

All chicks with their rapid growth and feathers that don't seem to keep up, like a teenager's clothes, can make them look ragged. The white feathers allow more of the pink skin to show and be noticed making them look even more so then the others. When they finish growing and are clean they do look great.

I love my Buff's but I am becoming quite fond of my White Rocks. We had ordered Barred Rocks but some how something got screwed up, so we ended up with the Whites. I was disappointed when I was told, but that sure went away quick. As soon as I saw them I knew it was just meant to be! Thanks for sharing all your wisdom, Great White Chicken Keeper!;)

It always seem that when I want to change the dirt bath in the coop it rains. I have started to keep a bucket of dry dirt just for that. Actually I'm raising Buff Rocks this year. Got Barred two years ago, Going to see how the Plymouth Rocks look in as many colors as I can.

I am very new to this. I never realized how many different breeds and colors of chickens there are. I can relate to the fluffy ones............. so it was just a given that we would choose Orpingtons. Never knew they came in different colors until I did some reading. Then I saw Plymouth Barred Rock chicks and fell in love. Some day I'll get a few, but right now 5 is the limit. We actually decided on only 4 but I ordered an extra one JUST INCASE one didn't make it through the mail. We did order them through a local feed store, but not knowing too much about this, we were not aware of the fact we would get them when they were already 2-3 days old. The lady who works there takes care of all of them & makes sure they are all well. Any smaller ones she keeps to the side until older and healthier. So I actually didn't need to order 5. That's ok tho. We are all adjusting nicely.

Back
Top Bottom