Chick trouble pooping!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amberinparadise, Aug 3, 2014.

1. amberinparadise

amberinparadise New Egg

Jul 31, 2014
    I have just started my life as a chicken mama with 16 chicks! They are now 2 weeks old. One of the chicks seems to have trouble pooping. She strains, peeps loudly, and gets kind of puffed up when going. I can easily milk the vent and assist her. The poop doesn't seem to be hard or dry, there is no blockage or swelling. This has only been happening for the last 3 days. I did give the chicks a little yogurt and scrambled egg mixed in chick food just before this started. None of the other chicks are having trouble. Suggestions? I took the pine shavings out of the brooder in case she was eating them. She eats and drinks normally and is active. Thanks!

2. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    Does she have pasty butt? and is the vent clear of feces? If your feeding your chicks things other then chick starter make sure you sprinkle a little grit onto there food so they can break down the food in there craw. [​IMG]

3. bobthebunny

bobthebunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2014
    When babies are using the bathroom in their diapers their faces get really red so it could be the same thing with this chicken but since it started after she first used the bathroom it could be anything. I suggest watching her closely if it doesn't get better within a week or two I would take her to the vet. If she was older I would suggest totally crushed oyster shell food but you may want to ask around first to see if its safe. Congratulations on becoming a mother and before you know it you'll be a grandma. I want to be the first to say [​IMG]

4. amberinparadise

amberinparadise New Egg

Jul 31, 2014
    Thanks! She doesn't have pasty butt and nothing seems to be in her vent. When she goes, the stool is very slow to come out but eventually is completely passed.

5. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    It sounds like a digestive problem, as i mentioned try sprinkling a little grit onto there food to aid in digestion. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by