chick trouble

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DomC, Jun 19, 2011.

1. DomC

DomC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2010
    Las Vegas
    I have one chick (valley quail) that hatched yesterday and seem to be doing good until a hour ago. He's laying on his side and every time I flip him over, he rolls back to his side or back. He has one eye close and makes me think he had a seizure of some type. I gave him some water and he drank if fine. I guess time will only tell if he'll make it. One of the hard things of raising birds.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Dom Is The Bird Arching Its Head Up Over Its Back?

3. DomC

DomC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Yeah he had his head arched against his back... He also had his legs streched out. He didn't make it through the night. I just wish there was something I can do. The others starting eating same day on there own and all do great.

4. I have seen the "arched back head" on a chicken and those symptoms did not pass. Although I have heard they can. Others have refferred to it as "stargazing". Sorry I am not of any help treating. Just adding that other have had the same issues with other poultry. Too bad about your quail. Valleys sure are a good looking species.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Just Watch Them Closely And Keep Them Isolated From Any Other Birds For A Couple Of Weeks... Make Sure No Body Else Comes Down With Those Symptoms. The Position Is Called "posturing" Or Decorticut Posturing To Be Precise And Indicates Brain Injury Or Infection. Likely Just An Issolated Event Due To Some Form Of Birth Defect, But If Seen In Any More It Would Be A Very Good Indicator Of Encephalitis Which New World Speces Are Prone To And Is Readily Passed To The Embryo Enutero, But Is Also Contagious In Active Cases.

Like I Said Likely Just An Issolated Incident With 1 Lil Guy Who Had Internal Problems... But If It Is A Contagent You Just Need To Know To Watch For Possibility Of It Spreading Or Others Who Have Been Innoculated Enutero As Well. Normally If It Is An Infectious Process It Will Happen Within The 1st 2 Weeks Of Life. In Most Contageous Cases It Runs Through The Brooder Like Wildfire And Most Show Symptoms With 12-24 Hrs Of The 1st One Becoming Ill. Just Be Vigilent And Watch Them, Hopefully Its Just 1 Lil Defective Bird [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by