Chick trying to nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dsmdaryl, Feb 17, 2008.

1. dsmdaryl

dsmdaryl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2008
    North Central PA
    Have a 2 week old Buff Orp that is hopping in the feed trough and looks like she's trying to make a little dugout in the corner to nest in. Is that what she's trying to do this young, or is this something else? Thanks

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Probably just practicing dust bathing.

My chicks will do that from about 1.5-2wks and on - getting down in the shavings and rustling around. Hard to describe, but they do leave a little bowl shaped depression when they get up.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I had my little ones outside during the day at that age and they dust bathed like profesionals! [​IMG]

(that was in August so it was lovely and warm outside)

4. dsmdaryl

Feb 8, 2008
    North Central PA
    Oh ok, that would make sense:) I was curious because she's the only one doing it...that I've seen.

5. dsmdaryl

Feb 8, 2008
    North Central PA
    Oh ok, that would make sense:) I was curious because she's the only one doing it...that I've seen.

6. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    that sounds so cute

7. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I dont know my little brood-a-holoc Buff orpington babies sat on the eggs in the nest. But if she is in the feeder, she is probably dust bathing.

8. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    I also experienced the same! My chicks like to hang around in the feeder, sometimes even sleep there! The bad thing is they poop in it all the time. [​IMG]

You can let them outside and provide them soft and loose soil to dust bathe in. You can loosen the soil by tilling it with a shovel. Then place the chick there, and shower her some soil. Then she will get the idea and dust bathe. It looks like they're having seizures! But she's actually enjoying it and is beneficial in removing parasites.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by