Chick tumor? Or something else?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LinaNate, Feb 15, 2015.

1. LinaNate

LinaNate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please ignore the little poop chunk on it :/ Chick is about 9 days old. What do you think?

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
  3. LinaNate

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks! I'll start reading more about that disease now.

4. LinaNate

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    There is no blood or open looking navel but the mass is hard and pressing on the little things right leg, to the point that it's legs are splaying (which I tried to fix with the bandaid but it just resulted in the chick being unable to walk). It's a happy chick, eats, drinks and waddle around but that lump is so weird. It goes from it bum to up at the leg joint all along the side of it's body. Are there air sacks in the chicks backside like their are in their neck?

5. LinaNate

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    They do have an abdominal air sac! I wasn't sure...
    [​IMG]
    I really feel like it's an air sac issue.

6. LinaNate

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    Regarding Pullorum disease:
    We DID lose quite a few hatchlings just after hatch- 5 actually and they died quite suddenly and for no apparent reason... and these ARE shipped eggs bought from ebay :/

I've got 3 healthy chicks and then this one with the lump. They are all acting normal and have normal poops that I can tell.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  7. chickengeorgeto

Dec 25, 2012
    It is common for chicks that hatch late to have infected navels or mushy chick syndrome.

It is also not unusual for those chicks who stay in the shell to long, or who went through too warm temperatures during incubation to have mushy chick as well as skeletal problems or lameness like splay leg.

Incubation temps that are too high often result in chick body size that is to large to allow the chick to hatch easily if the chick is even able to hatch at all.

I don't know your chicks medical history so I though I would mention several things and see if anything rings a bell.

8. chickengeorgeto

Dec 25, 2012
    I would think that just because someone has an ad on ebay doesn't mean that advertiser has a National Poultry Improvement Program (NPIP) health certificate that is supposedly needed before shipping live poultry, food eggs, hatching eggs, and other poultry products in either intrastate, interstate, or else international commerce. Even chicken feathers or neck hackles were or else still are required to be shipped in a container of formaldehyde.

Caveat emptor, or let the buyer beware.

Documents today (I think) must also be presented testifying that the shipped items are free from Avian Influenza or AI.

When buying eggs ask for a copy of the NPIP health certificate. If nothing has changed a REDUNDANT copy of the certificate, this one issued by a licensed vet is required to accompany live poultry shipped in international commerce.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  9. chickengeorgeto

Dec 25, 2012
    Your chick is likely too young yet (inho) to show symptoms, but look up Mareks Disease. It is a form of cancer or tumors brought on by a Herpes virus.

But the strange stance and wide space between the chick's legs likely means that it will never be "normal" what ever that means.

10. LinaNate

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    Last night it had pasty butt so I bathed it. Took more, clearer photos:
    [​IMG]
    Above you can see on the left side the skin is pink... on the right side where the bulge is near the hip- it's more yellowish flesh.

[​IMG]
    You can see the hip joint jutting out above...

[​IMG]
    Here you see the leg being forced out right a the hip joint.

[​IMG]
    Butt view of the vent area, with lump on the left side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by