Chick tumor

lhines08

Songster
Jan 5, 2021
Pennsylvania
Is this some type of tumor ? At first glance we thought it was pasty butt and tried to wash it off but its definitely not that.

Attachments

• 20210222_205909.jpg
    20210222_205909.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210222_205912.jpg
    20210222_205912.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 11
So I think that’s an exposed yolk sack. The chick didn’t fully absorb the yolk in the egg so when it hatched the chick has it still attached to them. I’ve had this happen to me before and here’s what I did. First I got a mug or teacup and some wet warm paper towels. Then I wrapped the chick in the warm paper towel and put it in the teacup with a warm paper towel on top too leaving a little room for air. Then put it under a heat lamp. Then paper towel will act like the shell and the chick should absorb the yolk. You might need to change the paper towel a few times though. There’s other ways to fix this but this is what worked for me and my chick grew up to be a healthy chicken. If you have any more questions I’ll be happy to answer them!

So I think that’s an exposed yolk sack. The chick didn’t fully absorb the yolk in the egg so when it hatched the chick has it still attached to them. I’ve had this happen to me before and here’s what I did. First I got a mug or teacup and some wet warm paper towels. Then I wrapped the chick in the warm paper towel and put it in the teacup with a warm paper towel on top too leaving a little room for air. Then put it under a heat lamp. Then paper towel will act like the shell and the chick should absorb the yolk. You might need to change the paper towel a few times though. There’s other ways to fix this but this is what worked for me and my chick grew up to be a healthy chicken. If you have any more questions I’ll be happy to answer them!
Oh wait it might not be an exposed yolk sac

That is the navel. Looks normal. They chick still has a large abdomen from absorbing the yolk. That will go down. The navel with finish healing and the scab fall off. If you are worried about the navel you can apply a dab of antibiotic ointment, but probably not needed.

Back
Top Bottom