Chick - ugly duckling syndrome

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hikechick, Jun 29, 2010.

1. hikechick

hikechick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2010
    I have a 4 week old chick, that I think is a roo, who's getting beat up by the mother hens. It's the only yellow one, versus the other 5 chicks are black, so I'm wondering if we have an ugly duckling thing going on. The poor chick was pecked so bad that we have him in a bucket in our sink right now, to keep him safe. What do we do with it? We're thinking of having a third cage for the little guy, but is he old enough to go with out a heat lamp now? The hen had been letting him sleep under her, but not feeling like that will happen again. HELP. What do folks suggest????[​IMG]

2. dsowens15

dsowens15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    Yeah, Just put him in a separate pen untill he can fend for his self a little bettter. I think he will be fine with no heat light.

3. jackiesmamachick

jackiesmamachick Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    you can always put a screen between them till he gets bigger so he dosen't get lonely as they do like company

4. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Is there a nice little one who gets along with everybody that you can put in with him -- he needs a friend.

Jenny

5. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I agree with Miss Jenny. He needs a friend... How about the smallest black one? Sometimes the behavior changes when there is a one on one experience. After he heals add a little chick and see if they can be friends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by