Chick umbilical issues - help

Brigabart

Songster
8 Years
Jun 27, 2015
So, I had a great hatch, but this one is not doing as well. Very chipper and sits up, but came out with some yolk sack attached. It had some shell stuck, which I took off after two days (It pipped two days ago, mostly hatched last night). So, is this fixable? Or do I need to put it down? Hate to since it's quite chipper, but don't want it to just die slowly either....

IMG_0439.JPG

Looking at the picture, I'd say as long as the chick isn't picking at it, and as long as it's not bleeding, the chick should be alright. It may dry up and fall off. If that tan, dried up stuff is yolk or dead skin, you could probably just trim that off with scissors, just be sure not to cut where it's pink. I think you could even tie a string around it (very tightly) right up against the belly, and that would dry up and fall off, and look just fine.

That will fall right off. To guard against it tearing and bleeding at belly you could cut the large dry residual egg yolk off. The cord is completely dry in photo and not an issue to cut.

Put some paper towel in a coffee cup, and set the chicken in it. The cup should be deep enough to immobilize the chicken. Let it remain in there overnight, to absorb more of the yolk sac, and let the cord dry a bit. Do not give water, or food yet. Check it tomorrow, and I suggest putting a little plain neosporin, or equivalent (WITHOUT pain releif) on the cord area. Either the yolk sac will have been absorbed, and the cord is starting to shrivel some, or it will be mostly the same. IF it's the same, take a piece of string (I like plain dental floss for this), tie it around the cord, NOT too close to the body, and pull it tight, then cut BELOW the string. I leave the string on for a couple minutes, then remove the string. Don't forget to put neosporin on it, then return it to the cup for a few hours. After a few hours, introduce it to a little water, and feed. Some may ooze out the cord at first. Wipe gently, and apply neosporin occasionally. It should be ok to let it out of the cup, but keep it isolated. I use a fairly large clear plastic square container in the brooder for this. That way it can still socialize, yet is isolated. Let it eat, and drink as it wants to, gently wiping, and applying neosporin on occasion. Check for pasty butt often, and rinse, or soak the butt in lukewarm water to keep the vent unplugged, then apply neosporin.

Back
Top Bottom