chick vent help!!!!

hetherfeather

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
i have a 15 day old chick, and a couple days ago i noticed some swelling of her vent, so i put some neosporin on. the next day i checked and it got no better. I have been doing this for a while now, and have been soaking her vent in warm water. her vent has swollen even more now. i don't see the other chicks pecking at her vent, and its not red, but there are no feathers around her vent, and the feathers are dying fast. she is definitaly a pet type of chicken and i really don't want her to be in pain.

Has she pooped? If she is not pooping, she could be constipated. I have a friend that had a similar problem. Sadly, the chick died and poop was stuck all over its butt. She most likely died from constipation. One way of solving this problem is making sure that the heat lamp is not to hot. Put a thermometer under the light and see what the temperature is. If it is to hot, find a way to move the lamp farther away. Hope this helps and that she gets better.
smile.png

i have a 15 day old chick, and a couple days ago i noticed some swelling of her vent, so i put some neosporin on. the next day i checked and it got no better. I have been doing this for a while now, and have been soaking her vent in warm water. her vent has swollen even more now. i don't see the other chicks pecking at her vent, and its not red, but there are no feathers around her vent, and the feathers are dying fast. she is definitaly a pet type of chicken and i really don't want her to be in pain.

I'm not sure what is causing the chick's problem. But if the neosporin isn't helping then I would quit using it. If it isn't red then it's not infected and the medicine won't help. I wonder if just dusting it with a little cornstarch would help. It was my mother's remedy for diaper rash and it would maybe help reduce any swelling in the vent area.
hmm.png

i just checked on her and she's not getting any better. shes losing feathers around her vent and she HATES being held. she used to love it...
i'm really worried about her.
D.gif

i just checked on her and she's not getting any better. shes losing feathers around her vent and she HATES being held. she used to love it...
i'm really worried about her.
D.gif
Is her vent swollen and does she appear to have a small prolapse? If yes you could try either sugar or prep H to help shrink swollen tissue. Any indication of wounds/infection?

Is she eating/drinking/pooping?

Last edited:
shes not pooping as much as the others, and her vent is sort of swollen, what do i do with sugar?

Back
Top Bottom