Chick very lethargic, losing weight, need home remedies ideas

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hillbrothers eggs, Jan 16, 2011.

1. hillbrothers eggs

hillbrothers eggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Placerville, CA
    Hi all,

Today I noticed that one of my chicks is unable to stand. When she does stand, she is very wobbly. She has also lost weight. I have been at work for a couple days, so today is the first time that I have seen her like this. She had a hard small crop before I gave her some sugar water. Her crop is bigger now, like the water is just sitting there. The other chicks are doing well, very active. I am wondering if they have been forcing her away from the feeder. I have given her a little yogurt and she will take a little of it. She is alert, clear eyes. She tries to move around but like I said she is very wobbly on her feet. Absolutely no energy. She is also panting. I have an idea that this has been developing over the last week. The chicks are fed a home made feed that is 21% protein.

I am needing some advise on what to feed her to try to get her energy level up. Right now I am giving her sugar water and trying yogurt. I would hate to lose her, she is a very pretty chick. Any advise would be great. She is separated from the other chicks right now. The chick is 16 days old.

Thanks

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    the sugar water should perk her up a little... I would go easy on the yogurt it can be hard for then to digest in large amounts

try some bread soaked in olive oil a hard crop sounds it may be impacted. maybe mush in some chicken food inthere too so she gets more then just empty calories

scrambled egg is good for them too when they are unwell.

there are liquid childrens vitamins you can add to the water to help with her little pick me up too

I would not do the sugar water long term only to get her energy levels up so that she can digest and precess all the other good suff you are about to give her

3. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    Do you have any vitamins or electrolytes for their water? There are quite a few different ones available, like Vi-Tal or Priobios. I would recommend getting this into their water to correct anything digestive that may be going on. Once they feel better, their appetites always return.

How old are they? Have you tried giving her scrambled eggs or meal worms? Both very high value treats with tons of protein.

4. hillbrothers eggs

hillbrothers eggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Placerville, CA
    Thanks for the responses. The Chicks are 16 days old. I have not put any vitamins in the water, but I will do that. I just massaged Peppers crop and she regurgitated the water. Her crop was pretty full. I will continue giving her sugar water but in littler doses. I just tried to get some olive oil into her mouth. I was going to give her eggs when and if she perks up. I have noticed that her tail feathers were smaller, meaning pecked. My wife just reminded me that Pepper was the last to be born and she is brown where as the other two chicks are tan. I think that there might have been some bullying going on and they were keeping her from eating?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The chick is a Rose Comb Brown Leghorn.

Thanks

5. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    Hard to think that bullying starts that young. I have never experienced it with chicks that young. Just a thought that she doesnt feel well for some other reason......

I wish you the best of luck and hope your little one perks up quickly [​IMG]

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    if they are only 16 days old it may be failure to thrive and in that case there is not much you can do... sometimes we just lose the wee ones

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by