1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick very sleepy and stumbles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by imogene08, Aug 11, 2013.

1. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    for the past few days my chick I think is around 5 weeks old she was always a lot smaller but always had the most energy funning and flying around but now she hangs her wings low sleep all the time and falls over when she trys to get up and when she does walk she stumbles a bit we toke her out today and put her inside her mixed sugar water with it and gave her some food she is a white polish can someone please tell me whats going on with her and what I should do!! we called the vet but there cant see anyone till tommarow

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She could have some internal problem that is causing her slow growth and weakness. In that case, I would suggest that you give her as good of care as possible (extra good feed, vitamin/electrolytes and probiotics in her water, plenty of rest, and, if necessary, isolation from the other chicks), and hope for the best.

Coccidiosis is another possibility. I would purchase some Corid, and treat her. Corid comes in two forms: powder and liquid. The Corid powder dosage is 1/2-3/4 teaspoon powder per gallon of drinking water, and the Corid liquid dosage is 1/2 teaspoon liquid per quart of drinking water. Replace the Corid water daily, and treat for 5-7 days. Don't give any vitamins during Corid treatment, as certain vitamins interfere with Corid's effect on Coccidia.

3. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    ok yes she is away from other chicks where could we possibly just keep the sugar water there or put something else in the water at the moment she is sleeping and standing up

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is possible that she has Coccidiosis. This disease often strikes when chicks are four to eight weeks old. It causes sleepiness, paleness, bloody droppings, lack of appetite, and droopiness. Coccidiosis can kill quickly, so I'd get a coccidiostat as soon as possible. Corid 9.6% liquid (sold for cattle) works best, as it kills all nine strains of Coccidiosis. The dosage for this Corid is 2 tsps in one gallon of water for five days.

During the Corid, you can also try giving your chick electrolytes. However, don't give her vitamins, as the protozoa that cause Coccidiosis feed on vitamins. In fact, the way that Corid works is that it inhibits Riboflavin.

Continue to give your chick sugarwater until you get Corid. After that, only give her the Corid water to make sure that she gets enough of it. Keep her energy up by trying to give her scrambled eggs, as eggs are very good for chicks.

It is possible that she just has something wrong internally that is only showing itself fully now. In this case, there is nothing you can do, unfortunately.

Good luck with your little chick! I hope she gets better! Please keep us updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by