Chick vits & minerals

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Time-Out, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Are chicks like chicldren in that they can't have the same things as adults? I've been looking for anything vits/minerals/anything I can give to my chicks, but they all mention the benefits in egg laying etc and nothing about chicks. Is it safe for chicks?

Could I get them something like this: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/birds/supplements/pecking_stones/205584

or
    this: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/birds/supplements/pecking_stones/113678

or
    how about this: http://regencypoultry.com/heathcare/Vitamins_and_Supplements/barrier_vitamin_poultry_boost.htm

The
    first two I'm thinking would give them something more tasteful to peck at rather than the paper towels they're on, and the third I'm hoping would give them a good start to life.

Does anyone give their chicks anyting extra?

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Out of the three links you have I'd say the third. I give my chickies a vitamin/electrolyte in their water. You can get it at a feed store but since you are in the UK I dont know if they carry it or what it would be called.

3. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    sheila, do you know if using something like pedialyte, is it used straight out of the bottle or diluted? If diluted approximately what ratios?

4. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Your chick starter food contains all that they need nutritionally for the first six weeks. Then you move them on to growers food.

The chick starter food is carefully balanced, so I don't feed them anything else and my chicks have grown into happy and healthy adults.

Best of luck with your little ones.

Kaeta
    www.muckycluckers..blogspot.com

5. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

6. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Thanks for the replies. The chicks seem healthy, so i'm not too worried about them, just wondered about any extras they can have.

How do you keep your chicks busy? I thought maybe the first two links would be quite good... unless it gives them diarrohea. I have a spare rodent wheel lol anyone ever tried that?

7. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Your chick starter food contains all that they need nutritionally for the first six weeks. Then you move them on to growers food.

The chick starter food is carefully balanced, so I don't feed them anything else and my chicks have grown into happy and healthy adults.

This quote is spot on, except in the U.S. the Purina Feed Company says to keep them on starter for the first 18 weeks then switch to layer feed. Also before you start feeding them treats or scratch or bugs either give them access to dirt or sand or furnish them with chick grit. They need this to digest anything other than chick starter.​

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  8. m.r.heavenlyhens

m.r.heavenlyhens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I feed some sandy dirt that we have down here instead of buying grit. I have raised several batches of chickens just fine. I put in a paper plate by the starter feed. I also give the babies a little electrolyte and vitamin in their water. It has some ascorbic acid in it that they seem to love. I buy the packet at the feed store and just a small amount in their water. All my chickens have grown up just large and healthy.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by