Chick vomiting blood.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Trollkiller, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Trollkiller

Trollkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    One of my 2 week old meat birds had blood running down her neck. I picked her up and she coughed up blood. I held her upside down and the blood poured and she started to expire.

I could see no external injuries, what would cause internal bleeding like that?

2. Oh my goodness, I have never heard of this one. You need to perhaps tell us all what other circumstances you have going to keep this from repeating itself and perhaps teach us all a valuable lesson. I am so sorry you have to go through this and the poor chick, I imagine it has died by now. Aperating any kind of liquid in a chicken kills them very quickly.

3. Trollkiller

Trollkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    They are in a wire cage, they have never been outside. I feed them non medicated feed.

My daughter told me earlier this even that she saw one of the birds faint. (She has seizures and the new meds make her prone to stories.) I checked the birds and all seemed ok. All alert and doing what chicks do.

I found this one resting by the waterer. It was lifting its head like it was drinking but it had its eyes half shut. This is the fourth bird that had expired.

First bird died of no apparent reason while we were out. Second bird I found flipped on its back, I nursed it for 5 days then culled it. Third bird looked distressed so I separated it. It lasted 2 days being nursed. And then this one tonight.

I am feeding chick starter feed on a 12 on 12 off schedule. I am mixing chick grit in the feed. (sprinkled like salt) No table scraps.

Plenty of water, cleaning it when it has poop in it. Fresh every day.

Poop falls to a litter pan below the cage so no buildup. No predators, no fighting among the chicks. No high places for them to jump off of.

I have heat lamps set up so they can get away from the heat if they want. There is no crowding at the edge of the cage so I don't think they are hot. They seem to migrate directly under the lamp, warm up, stretch and then wander to the edge of the light.

Am I missing anything?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  4. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Sounds like you have everything covered which means it's probably a disease. I'd find out what it is if I were you, before it wipes out all your birds. Good luck [​IMG]

5. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Just a remote thought but could your daughter have given the fainting chick any of her seisure meds?

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Either that or it could be an aneurysm. Keep it quiet and observe or cull (necropsy to see what was the issue). I did have a couple of birds with aneurysms that were about to rupture and it was timing that I was able to save the meat. But with humans aneurysms can create bleeding into the digestive tract, why not a bird? (Just a thought. ) Good luck to you and the bird.

7. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    I don't know what's causing the vomiting blood, but if you are feeding non-medicated feed and they are expiring, the non medicated feed could have something to do with losing so many birds. Hope you find out what it is soon.

8. mountaintopchicken

mountaintopchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Where did you get the meat birds from originally? Could they have been exposed to any other birds at all, even indirectly - i.e. you visiting someone with birds, coming back home, then handling them?

If you have other birds, I would practice really strict quarantine between these meaties and your others until you figure this out. I would also stay away from other peoples poultry.

I can think of one disease that would result in coughing blood, that's why I ask, although I hope that your problem is something entirely different!

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    With several birds dying you either have a toxin or disease (ILT comes to mind with the symptoms described). Check the feed and any bedding materials for wetness or mold.

10. Wow, this is disturbing. I'd be really freaked out if I picked up on my birds and it poured blood like that.

I really hope it's not a disease [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by