Chick w/Bloody neck..

Momagain1

Songster
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Central IL
So, the principal of the school who took 2 of the Pre-K class chicks they hatched, (remember I got 16 of them)
..he asked me sunday at church "You still raise chickens right?"
I said "yep" He said can we bring the 2 by today? '
Then the wife said that they just didnt have enough room for them and it wasnt fair to the chicks..
I said yeah

ok..so they brought them by and in doing so..told my husband, that he hadnt planned on keeping them for long,
he just wanted them for the cute stage! REALLY?? Lol...so I didnt have time and didnt acclimate them into the brooder;
they were 4 wks this wk and I came home from leaving and one had a blody neck..seriously I mean if they hadnt of
taken them in the first place..this wouldnt have happened..so now I have a quarantined bird..not sure how long I need to keep him/her seperated..ideas??

we used cornstarch (per recommendation from 2 BYC members) to stop the bleeding..but I'm not sure when to try to get him back into the brooder...
or even how to know when he/she is strong enough to go back in..

The chick is eating some and drinking..and poo'ing...he/she is active..today we took the makeshift brooder outside and he flew out a tiny bit..walked around
and stayed on the deck...he roosted on a couple chairs...so he has some energy...

advice??

TIA!

Do you have blue Kote? Spray it right over the bloody area (helps hide it and treats it as well) That really helps hide blood and tastes horrible to the others so they stop pecking. I would keep her separate until there is no sign of blood and then bring her number two buddy back to her coop. Put some wire between the two groups for at least a week...two is better and then try again. If you try adding him back in they will just peck at him again
sad.png
She should have his buddy back though as soon as the blood is in check so he has someone to hang with when being reintroduced in a week or two. Good luck! Hope it works out.

no I dont have blue kote...can i get it at the TSC???

and should I wash him/her off?? get that cornstarch stuff off?? its not bleeding anymore...the cornstarch has been on there since about 7pm last night (Sunday)...

Totally agree with HWMP. Blue kote will definatly heal it and stop others pecking at it. Most Farming retailers have it for sale!
wink.png

Last edited:
I agree with blu-kote AND the warning!! From experience!!
hmm.png
I went to work with it ALL over my hand when the rooster knocked the bottle against my hand and it splashed ALL over my hand/wrist. I recommend gloves and clothes that you don't like.
barnie.gif

I recommend gloves and clothes that you don't like. barnie

I 2nd this!

Mine went mad and shook off frantically like the link I shared and ruined my shirt, and got all over my face which I had to sport at work that same night HAHA And my coop has pretty purple spotted walls now
big_smile.png

Thanks! I'll go to town today and get some!! maybe it'll get my kids out of the house so they can quit driving me nutty!

Back
Top Bottom