Chick w/ Cocci not eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FlightsofFancy, Jan 6, 2010.

1. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    A few days ago we had a really bad cold wave go through here. At the same time someone helping me feed, refilled the 10 week old chicks pen with unmediated game bird feed. I think the stress of the cold (even though they have a heat lamp, no drafts) and change of diet caused a cocci out break. If I am wrong let me know. I brought the two birds inside and put them back on medicated starter. I also started them on Corid in their water with electrolytes. One chick bounced back with in 12 hours. The other is not. She has dilated pupils, not eating, and just sits puffed up. I have been forcing the medicated water down her 3x per day, and yesterday started mixing the crumbles with the water and forcing it down her.
    What else can I do? I don't want to give up.......or should I?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You can give a few drops of Corid straight in it's mouth. You can also mix some vitamins and warm water and inject it into the loose skin on it's back, so it will absorb some vitamins and help dehydration some. very hard to tube the little ones...... Best Wishes

3. FlightsofFancy

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Good idea....didn't think to go under the skin with fluids. I have some subQ fluid bags....will try it. Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  4. FlightsofFancy

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    This chicken is not getting better, but not getting worse. Just sits puffed with no other symptoms. Not eating or drinking. Her eyes are still dialated which really concerns me. Could it be something else or long term damage from the cocci? I am now wondering if it is cocci at all.......She was dosed w sulmet in November and also wormed with Wazzine then ivermec. Each drug was given 2 weeks apart, as a preventative. Could she have had some sort of a reaction that I didn't notice until she got stressed and went down?
    I am now force feeding her every 2 hours with mashed starter and a coctail of corid and electrolytes.
    Help! What should I do??

***I am taking care of one sick chicken at my farm, then an injured chicken at a friends farm. ARG!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  5. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I might just be me but I think you are over medicating her. Force feeding is good for a time but it is extremley stressful for the chicken and can hinder their recovery. Do you think she aspirated when being force fed? Try giving her different foods to try and increase her appetite. Scrambled egg, a little chopped strawberry some well cooked pasta?

Her dilated pupiles might be an indication that she won't ever be back to normal.

6. cocosandy

cocosandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    I would corrid your entire flock...likely they all have it!

7. FlightsofFancy

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    These chicks were completely separate from the rest of my flock. So ...whew!
    So should I stop the corid? The other chick is fine, eating with gusto. I have been giving all kinds of yummy stuff...this bird acts like it is blind with no interest in food at all.

8. FlightsofFancy

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    OK this chicken is hanging on........
    I caught it sipping water 1x yesterday, but it is still not eating. She has NO muscle mass. No food in crop. Just sits puffed up. She is in my kitchen all nice and warm. I gave her some B complex today and started feeding Kaytee Handfeeding formula. She will swallow the food as I put it in her beak, but will not eat on her own. I have been feeding her about 3 cc of food 3 times per day. I feel if I get her over the hump she will recover.
    How much should I be feeding her?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by