Chick w/cut & skin is GREEN

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CyndiD, Sep 16, 2016.

1. CyndiD

CyndiD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    hi, my friend has a chick (i gave her) and it has a cut that i cleaned up, and while i was clipping feathers and soaking dried on mucus, etc. i noticed that the skin on the its leg is green. i thought it was gangrene, but i googled it and i dont think it is gangrene.
    could it be bruising? i read someone say it could be. do chickens bruises turn green? it could be lack of blood flow?
    any help is welcomed.
    thank you

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?

What is the "dried on mucus"?
    Is the wound/cut oozing or have any pus in it?

Bruising in chickens can have a green color. For the cut, flush/clean with saline or betadine. Apply some triple antibiotic ointment (neosporin, vetericyn, bacitracin, etc.). Watch for oozing, odors or pus this could be an indication of infection.

3. CyndiD

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    no i cant post a pic today. i would have to go back over to her house. there was no pus, no redness e.g. infection. the chicks leg was sensitive to my touch on the thigh, just above the cut. its feathers were matted together where the dried mucus (?) was. i soaked it and got it off.
    i will call her today and ask how the chick is doing. i will see her sunday and go over to have a look, hopefully.
    any other suggestions?
    ETA: there was no fowl smell, just the green skin. there was no more oozing or bleeding. i put some proxide on it and then neosporin. i did not cover/wrap it. i thought it should stay open so it can dry up and heal.

@casportpony do you have any suggestions or any input on this green skin?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Probably just bruising.

5. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Yes, bruising turns green.

6. CyndiD

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    YA!! you know this to be true? i tried googling it and could not find an answer.
    thank you.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If you can get your friend to send some photos so you can post them, that would be helpful.

8. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Have seen a lot of brushing on chickens. Unless there is something unusual about it, like, maybe, mushy, smelly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by