CHICK W/ SEVERELY BROKEN LEG! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! (PICS & VIDEO!!)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickgirl, Feb 15, 2008.

1. chickgirl

chickgirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2008
    Hi! Im new to chicken keeping and I have a 3 day old chick that I believe has been stepped on by a horse. Its leg is shriveled up and appears dead. I think it has a break at the joint. There didn't seem to be any blood on the leg and I don't think she can move it. other than the leg injury it seems in good health and spirits. Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do for it? THANKS!!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  2. spencereb

spencereb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2007
    Tennessee
    Chickgirl,
    I have had several chicks that stated off just fine.[​IMG] Then at maybe a week or two, they started to get sort of paralyzed in the leg, where they couldn't stand up hardly.[​IMG] They certainly could not run with the others. But they were alert and seemed ok, otherwise. After about a week of TLC, they all seemed to over come it, and they all went on to live happy productive lives![​IMG]

I believe that in the beginning, they actually grew too fast for their legs, and when they got to where they could not get the same food and water, their growth slowed and their legs caught up in developement with their piggy bodies! Hopefully, with time yours will pull through, too.[​IMG]

Some pictures would help the local experts, I'm just guessing from my past experience.

Good luck,
    -Spence

3. chickgirl

Feb 15, 2008
    Thanks! hopefully what you said is true for my chick. As for the picture......... Im new to this site so Im not sure I will be able to do that. LOL

4. spencereb

Feb 17, 2007
    Tennessee
    Chickgirl,
    Last night I did my first ever image post.[​IMG] It is both super easy and quite involved, at the same time.:|

Involved, because first, you need to set up an account with photobucket.[​IMG] No charge.[​IMG]

Then easy because all you do is post your image to this forum by Copy/Paste.[​IMG] That is "Copy" it's address from photobucket and "Paste" it into this message field.

Start at the top of this screen in FAQ's. It is the first of the frequently asked questions! And the directions are in the link offered:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504
    Good luck...
    -Spence

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  5. spencereb

Feb 17, 2007
    Tennessee
    Chick girl,
    Wow...you did great with your pictures![​IMG] Hopefully now somebody can come through with some more helpful advise.

I looked at them, and there is no resemblance to what my chicks went through. My chicks kept both feet on the ground, and their toes were curled really bad. They sort of walked along on their elbows and definately could not run.[​IMG] Then, after a few very tense days, they got all better![​IMG]

I hope yours comes on along. That will be one special chick if she can acclaimate. Good luck.[​IMG]
    -Spence

6. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    It will probably just fall off. I would just watch it for swelling or infection. I don't think at this point you can do anything about it.

7. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Just curious: how did a three day old chick get stepped on by a horse? Did you see it happen?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  8. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I think it would be a gonner if it was a horse. Just watch for swelling and keep it clean. I don't know what happened to that poor little leg. Does it hop around on one leg pretty good, get to the food and water good?

9. chickgirl

Feb 15, 2008
    Thanks so much for your replies!! My little "Oreo" is adapting well and hops so fast you wouldn't believe he has only 1 usable leg. Thanks again. I will try to keep you updated w/ pics and reports on how s/he is doing!

[​IMG]

10. chickgirl

Feb 15, 2008
    I don't know if i can get this to work or not. but if it does you will be able to see how little Oreo gets around!![​IMG] [​IMG]
    just click on the pic below and it will let u see the video. the quality is kinda crappy.[​IMG] but oh well. at least you'll be able to get an idea of how Oreo moves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by