Chick w/sore vent died-contagion to others? Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PulletSurpriseWinner, Jul 6, 2011.

1. PulletSurpriseWinner

PulletSurpriseWinner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Hello,

One of my chicks has been having an issue with a sore vent. She was plainly having problems passing droppings and would peep miserably every time she went.

One of our moderators suggested several ways to try helping her, all of which I did try:

Washing poop from her vent with warm water rather than using wet paper towel- worked good and gave her a little relief

Treat with antibiotic ointment-made her more comfortable, but didn't seem to affect the problem

Add 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar per gallon of water (all the chicks do drink it)

Offer live cultured yogurt- this didn't work, the chicks won't eat it in feed, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese.

This morning, she was the worst off she's been yet. Her vent was distended at least a quarter inch. It wasn't discolored, but was so swollen she could barely pass anything. There was a very bad smell, like the smell of infection, coming from whatever she could pass. She would try to poop, and cry miserably, at least once every five minutes. There wasn't much stuff around her vent, but I washed off her bottom and applied ointment. She promptly peeped very rapidly and LOUD, then passed a huge dropping, then laid down. I thought she was feeling a little better and might sleep.

There were a few chores to do upstairs, when I returned about to check her an hour later, she was lying on her face, dead.

I'm a little frantic here. My wife thinks this one chick has some kind of congenital defect, but I'm worried about disease. I've cleaned and disinfected the brooder and everything in it; plus inspected all the other chicks' bottoms (okay so far). They are still very chipper and don't seem to feel sick.

Do we need to be concerned about the other chicks' health, or is my wife right? Please weigh in!

Thanks, -Dave- "Pullet Surprise Winner"

2. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Welcome to BYC!! Sorry about your loss. I'm not sure of the age of your chick that passed. I wouldn't automatically assume from what you stated that she was contagious. I think you've taken the necessary steps to clean things up. I'd keep an eye on the rest of your birds. Young birds can often get Pasty Butt. You can do a little research on here to see if that's what she had. Again, sorry for your loss.

3. PulletSurpriseWinner

Jun 27, 2011
    Carrlr, thanks for weighing in.

Sorry I didn't post this, the babies are sixteen days old. Patty, the sick one, had been having trouble since day six.

Thanks for your kind words. Hopefully, the other peeps will be okay. I haven't been paying as much attention to them as I probably should, although we have one who is very sweet and loves to be held. My wife and I both pick her up and pet her often.

4. ChickyLove

ChickyLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Springfield, MA.
    I'm so sorry you lost your little chick! It doesn't sound to me as though it could be passed to any of the other chicks, since they are all perky and healthy. Can I ask what kind of feed you're using? Again, my condolences for your loss, it's never easy to have that happen.

5. PulletSurpriseWinner

Jun 27, 2011
    Hi Chicky Love,

We feed them Manna Pro medicated chick starter. Thanks for the kind words!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by