Chick w/trembling head and sits on haunches

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by annagok9, Oct 2, 2016.

1. annagok9

annagok9 Just Hatched

Oct 2, 2016
    West Virginia
    I have a Brahma chick that is not doing well. She is now 3 weeks old. She started showing symptoms at 7days old. Her poop is normal and she eats and drinks great, She is growing a little less than the other chicks here are the problems. Her head is in constant tremors, she sits on her haunches and when she tries to walk she comes up on her legs a little however falls from side to side. She tries to use her wings to stabilize her balance. She doesn't make it very far. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. annagok9

annagok9 Just Hatched

Oct 2, 2016
    West Virginia
    I gave her Vit. E, 2 drops of Poly-Vi-sol on her beak and some Vit B complex in applesauce last night. This morning her head tremors are better, however she is still very unstable when she tries to get on her feet.
    Any thoughts or recommendations?
    Thank you in advance,
    Anna

3. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Hi, sounds like you are on the right track in treating for a deficiency. I'd concentrate on the thiamine B1 as the head tremors are often the early symptoms. Some Brewers yeast sprinkled on the feed might be an easy way of administering.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

1 person likes this.
  4. annagok9

annagok9 Just Hatched

Oct 2, 2016
    West Virginia

I am new to forum posting so bear with me while I use you for practice. Thank you for the help!

5. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    No problem, happy to help. What are you feeding the chicks?

6. annagok9

annagok9 Just Hatched

Oct 2, 2016
    West Virginia
    Update on my Brahma chick.
    The Poly-Vi- Sol is helping. Her head tremors are much better(almost gone), however now she appears to have Splayed legs. Also her toes are not spreading out.
    I have put braces on her legs and tape boots on her feet.
    She is now four weeks old I am concerned that she is now to old to fix her legs. How long should I continue with the Vit supplements?[​IMG]

7. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Is the polivisol without iron ? I keep a poultry multivitamin in my first aid box. Polivisol is fine in case of emergency because it is readily available but I found my birds don't like it and the poultry ones are generally water soluble . 4 weeks is rather late to develop splayed legs, so I'm guessing the vitamin levels are still not corrected. If she is in pain she will be cheeping constantly and if her hip is rotated she will manage to get out of the hobbles. If you feel that she is comfortable then it is worth continuing .

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by