Chick w/ umbilical cord still attached?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CDennis, Jan 27, 2011.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    They were set to hatch tomorrow but 3 are out. 1 has what appears to be the umbilical cord still attached. Do I still sit on my hands? Or do I open the bator and intervene. Will it just dry and fall off?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Just give it time. It will dry and detach on its own.

3. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Thanks. It did. First time chicken mommy, a bit paranoid.

4. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I've been there too. Hope you had a good hatch. [​IMG]

5. MattMansChickens

MattMansChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Canada
    hey, my chicks were ordered, now about 3 days old, and there is a black thing hanging out below the vent. the chick chirped loudly when i tried to wipe it off, i thought the bird had a pasty rear end. but it was only one bird. what is that?

6. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Quote:That is the dried up umbilical cord. Kind of like us humans. When we are little, we are carried around with a rotting piece of flesh taped to our stomach. Same principle. Theirs goes away in a few weeks. Don't pull on it, or you can pull out a lot of crap. I've never done it, but I hear guts and all come with it.[​IMG]

7. DeesRoster

DeesRoster Just Hatched

Mar 5, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    So my 3 day old chick that has a dried up umbilical cord is ok? It will eventually fall off? It's 3 days old, dried up, about 1/4 in long, but then the last inch or so was about as thick as a hair. I just snipped that part of because the others were pulling him around with it, but not enough to cause damage. I also have band/straw brace on this one because he has a hard time standing... Even after 3 days.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by