Chick walking backward periodically

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Carel, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Carel

Carel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2009
    Walla Walla, WA
    I know this has been asked in the past, but I've not seen a true answer yet. I have a chick about 3 months old who periodically walks backwards anywhere from 3 to 15 steps. Very strange. Otherwise seems pretty normal. Any experience with this? Please, no moonwalking comments.
    Thanks,
    Carel

2. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    that sound strange and curious to hear what others say on that...the only time I see mine move back is while eating...other than that no.

3. Carel

Sep 15, 2009
    Walla Walla, WA
    2txmedics - Thanks for the input. I'm wondering if it might be something neurological, yet harmless. Hopefully harmless![​IMG]

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

is she crested?

5. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    You might try giving the bird some PolyViSol (WITHOUT IRON) once or twice each day. Some chicks have a B vitamin deficiency that can cause these weird things.

6. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    thats a good idea on the vitamins....I add that to my waterers for the chicks but never the older hens/roo...when I see that they lose alittle engery from the hot Texas humidity and heat, I add sugar water, not making too sweet but enough to boost there engery back, and I also hook up the mister, they run out to play in the water.

7. Carel

Sep 15, 2009
    Walla Walla, WA
    Hello everyone-
    Thanks so much for your replies and opinions. I read somewhere else about the vitamin defiencey and I'm thinking that might be it. Aside from one chick going backwards periodically, there has been two other problem chicks out of the five. One got paralized legs that spit in each direction. Could not save it. Another of the same brood now has a weak leg that causes her to take breaks when she's tying to keep up with the rest of the family. This could be another sign of B deficiency, yes? The leg begins to turn about mid-afternoon and I've been putting her in a crate to rest for a few hours the last couple days. Chickens love cat food (canned) and Salmon has Bs. I've mixed a little B2 powder in it and have given them a little each day. It seems to be helping the weak leg. But the "backward baby" hasn't changed. This group is a mess. We've had lots of chicks but never anything like this. I will try the PolyViSol next. Thanks. Carel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by