Chick walking funny

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flockgirl, Dec 8, 2012.

1. flockgirl

flockgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    ohio
    Hi all! I have a coupl of 2 month old chicks who have been very healthy and normal but today when I went out to feed them I noticed that one of them was walking very funny. Instead of standing on her feet, she has them both bent under and is walking on them like that. It looks very painful but she didn't mind me picking her up an checking her out but I do not see a probem anywhere! She was fine this morining so I don't know what could have happened!

2. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    Could be Mareks but I hope it isn't. Good luck.

3. flockgirl

Apr 11, 2012
    ohio
    Mareks is highly contageous right?? All my other birds are healthy so for a 2 month old chick to get it would she have to get it from one of the others? I have never dealt with mareks so I don't know much about it. All I know is she is otherwise heathly. She is eating and drinking fine, not laying around or lethargic. Just seems shaky on her legs.

4. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    Yes it's contagious but older chickens develop an immunity to it so its normally chicks that display symptoms and then go downhill. Occasionally with great care they can pull through but will always shed it so can infect others. They don't all have to be ill for it to be marek's, just an odd one or two may get the full blown disease. Fingers crossed it isn't though.

1 person likes this.
  5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

So is she walking on her toes (are the toes curled under)?

Or is she walking on her hocks (feet in front, and she is crouched down with legs bent as if lying down)?

6. flockgirl

Apr 11, 2012
    ohio
    I think they are broken at the hocks. Her toes are curled under and sometimes she walks with them bent under her like they are just limp and she has no control over them. She will stand upright for a minute but she isnt stable on her legs at all

7. ChickensAreSweet

Oh if the toes are curled under then check out this:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency

Milk products have riboflavin in them, as do poly vi sol without iron (baby vitamins).

You can check out poultry vitamins at the feed store to see if they have it too. Yes sometimes only one in the flock will come down with a deficiency sign.

You can google "curly toe paralysis" or riboflavin deficiency poultry. Here is one thread of many on BYC.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/75639/curly-toes-and-riboflavin-deficiency

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/206930.htm

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  8. flockgirl

Apr 11, 2012
    ohio
    I think this may be it!!! Finally something that makes sense! I didn't think it was easy for a chick to break its legs especially when they don't really climb anyway. So I am definatly going to try some vitamin b and hopefully she gets back to normal! Do you know if this deficiancy is painful to their legs or does it just look painful? Thanks for all you help :)

9. ChickensAreSweet

You are welcome- I don't know if it is painful.

Here is another site that may help:
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
    see riboflavin for curled toes

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by