1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chick walking problem

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stephanie Mitchell, May 16, 2018.

1. Stephanie Mitchell

Stephanie Mitchell Chirping

Jun 21, 2017
    Hi there, I have a chick purchased from a hatchery on April 28th this year. I bought 10, 5 salmon faverolles and 5 sultan. One of the salmon faverolles I noticed one day was being sort-of walked over (I had hatched a bunch of chicks as well and they were all together in a tote/brooder which was pretty crowded). I immediately removed the chick and set up an ICU for it and gave it food/water vitamins. It recovered just fine, however I noticed about a week later that it walks a little 'tippy'. It was still living separate (with a friend) in a converted laundry basket lined with towels. The heat source for them is a heating pad folded in half to make a 'cave'. They've done well with it so far, the chicks roommate is perfectly fine. The salmon though looks like its almost injured? When it walks, its walking crookedly, almost like a sidewinder. Not always but definitely noticeable. My grandfather said it might grow out of it, but I worry about there being something I should do to help rehab it. Its also half the size of the other salmon faverolles. I tried adding it back in with the rest of the chicks but pulled it out after one night because I noticed it was SO thirsty. Standing at the waterer for an extended period drinking over and over. Any one else had similar issues? I can keep it separate as long as it needs.

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging 5 Years

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Could up post a picture/video? To upload a video need to post on You Tube then you can link it to here. Try wetting some feed making a mash, that way it gets water along with it's food. IF it's drinking "that much" water, it could be getting too warm ... Is you brooder large enough for all the chicks?

There's a website "Poultry Pedia" that you may want to check out. Have you checked of injuries? It maybe a vitamin deficiency. It also could be neurological.

What kind of vitamins? Are the toes curling? Is the neck curved?

You may want to repost in Emergencies, Injuries, Disease & Cures also.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  3. Stephanie Mitchell

Jun 21, 2017
    I'll post a video tonight to give you a better idea. Its drinking on its own and no longer excessively since I put it back in the laundry basket. The rest of the chicks are in the chicken coop now with plenty of space to move, I'm just not comfortable adding the little chick back in yet as I don't want it getting roughed up. The chick gets medicated chick starter and also I've added Pedialyte to its water. Unflavored. I haven't noticed curled toes and it's neck seems fine but a video will give a better idea also. Thanks for the help! I'll repost when I have the video

4. Stephanie Mitchell

Jun 21, 2017

Video of the chick

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  5. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Chirping

Aug 4, 2017
    Utah
    I have a 6 week old salmon Faverolle with a similar problem. When she does stand she seems a bit wobbly and appears to somewhat walk with a limp or like shes off balance. She lays down in front of the feeder/ waterer to eat or drink. I dont see her walk around much at all. I was about to creat a thread to see what I can do to help my chick. I tried to get video but she wont walk I move her and she just lays back down.

6. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Chirping

Aug 4, 2017
    Utah
    Here is a picture of her.

Attached Files:

7. Stephanie Mitchell

Jun 21, 2017
    Did you also get it from a hatchery? Mine came from Performance Poultry in Ontario Canada. Its eating and drinking on its own consistently and it hasn't stopped trying to walk or anything so I'm hoping it only goes better from here. Sorry to hear about your bird, I hope it ends up getting better.

8. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Chirping

Aug 4, 2017
    Utah
    I got mine from our local tractor supply company. I have 5 salmon Faverolles chicks also. I hope your chick recovers fast. Salmon Faverolles are the sweetest chickens :love

Attached Files:

9. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging 5 Years

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Ok, I'm guessing vitamin deficiency, possibly Riboflavin but lets get some more experienced help. Did you try posting in Emergencies, Injury, Disease and Cures also?

@Wyorp Rock @azygous @casportpony @Eggcessive

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  10. azygous

azygous Free Ranging 8 Years

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I think it's a vitamin E deficiency. If so, E 400iu capsules should improve this chick's motor function in just a few days. You can throw in some B vitamins, too. I'd go with B complex tablets - half a tablet a day. The vitamin E should be a whole gel cap of 400iu with just a sliver of selenium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: