chick warm house

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BeardedChick, Mar 1, 2009.

1. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought about moving my 4 wk. old chicks out to the brooder house. It's fully enclosed, but it's still cold here at night.

What about installing a heat lamp inside a big dog crate so they can go in and stay warm? I could put their food and water in there so they know it's 'home'.

Would they be smart enough to go in there at night? I could shut them in the first night or two...

I thought that would also be a safe setup for the light. I could put a strong hanger for the light, and then secure the crate so it couldn't be tipped over accidentally.

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I would definately keep a light for warmth and keep them in untill they are about 6 to 8 weeks old so they will be fully feathered out.

3. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My chicks are three weeks old and have been out in the coop for a week. I have two heat lamps for warmth in case one goes out overnight. They seem happier for it...

4. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    I have done something similar outside in my coop addition. The chicks have an unheated enclosed coop area (no drafts) to run around in, and a "warming hut" that is heated with a brooder bulb to the appropriate temp for the age of the chicks. I figure it closely resembles the mother/chick relationship I observed with my broody hens and chicks. Those chicks with their mamas would be out running around in the chilly weather, but did just fine, and were very healthy.

I found that the chicks had no problem figuring out the system!

food/water=over there
    warm/cozy=over here

My "warming hut" was a large, inverted plastic planter pot with the bottom cut off. It sort of looked like an igloo without a top. The brooder light was positioned right above the top opening, and I kept a thermometer inside so I could regulate the temps.

5. BeardedChick

Thanks!

Lynn, I think I saw a photo of your setup before and really liked the idea of it.

The brooder light in the dog crate works perfectly - I am going to put a thermometer w/ memory out there tonight to see if my bulb is warm enough (chicks will be indoors for another night).

6. SSO202

SSO202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Hartwood, VA 22406
    One important thing to consider is if for some freak reason the electricity goes out while you sleep and you don't realize it. I guess this could happen either way...inside or outside, but they are much likelier to survive a power outage indoors.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Oh sure... make me worry more SS0202! [​IMG]

Actually I moved my chicks outside about a week ago to what used to be a dairy barn (though its just like a house inside: plaster walls, etc.). since the chicks are as of yesterday 2 weeks old, I have x4 heat lamps on them.

I agree they have a better chance inside if the electricity goes out though. I find myself going into my kids bedroom so I can peek out the window to see if I can see the red light several times each night. If they were in the house I wouldn't worry so much because I'd know if the electricity went out. (but then they wouldn't have as much room... plus their flying/jumping skills have significantly improved... I think they'd be able to get out of the indoor brooder I was using..)

8. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    if this helps, I ordered a power outage alarm from Amazon for about $15.00. You plug it into an outlet near your bed and if the power goes out while your asleep, it goes off like an alarm clock and turns on a light that can be used as a flashlight for a few hours. I did this for peace of mind. If the power goes out while I'm asleep, at least I'll wake up and then I'll thin kof something to do to go out and keep the babies warm... maybe just sit with them and let them snuggle [​IMG]

9. BeardedChick

That's a good idea. [​IMG] I'd never heard of those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by