1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Wars!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jessied1227, Jul 17, 2007.

1. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    Our 7 day old chicks are just NUTS!! This is the 2nd bunch of chicks I've brooded, so keep in mind I am *so* not an expert.

These are 11 silver laced wyandotte hens and a Buff Orp. Roo, and they are just so fussy with each other. There is a lot of chest to chest conflicts between the females, and they seem to not like the roo overly much.

They're in a good sized brooder, one of those gianormous clear rubbermaid containers, pine shavings, plenty of food, water, light, etc., they're all really running around and active, but geeze! There is so much bickering going on...

I don't remember my other girls being so fiesty so young. Is it a difference in breeds, perhaps? [​IMG]

Thanks-
    Jess

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Mine were like that. I think it is the early establishing of a pecking order. My pullets did it far more than the cockerals.

3. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Mine do this too. It's very amusing to watch two one ounce balls of fluff go toe to toe with each other, but it's normal behavior. As long as everyone gets to eat and drink and no one is actually hurt you have nothing to worry about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by