Chick was attacked by my flock...GRAPHIC PICS!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Muggsmagee, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    One of my one month old chicks jumped out of her cage this morning and went straight for my older (established) flock. She was making a ruckous running around, and being in a rush myself, I just didn't catch her. [​IMG] I thought there were enough nooks and places to hide till I could get her back into her cage. I was wrong.

I found her hidden behind a pallet in the coop with her feathers and neck skin ripped off.

This pic is the back of her neck. I know how to treat a laceration, pests, some diseases....but how do I treat this? There is nothing to sew back together. I don't want to give up on her, however, would it be best if I just cull her? Is that too severe? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    omgosh... Im so sorry [​IMG]
    I dont have any advice to offer, just some support. [​IMG]

3. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Wendy'sChicksRock :

omgosh... Im so sorry [​IMG]
    I dont have any advice to offer, just some support. [​IMG]

Thank you!​

4. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    It looks pretty minor, and pretty clean. Be sure to keep her seperated from other chicks/chickens as they will peck at the wound. I'd use some neosporin, and keep the wound open to air. Keep an eye out for discharge or reddening of the flesh, as that may indicate infection. You may want to add a bit of vitamins to her water; and perhaps some antibiotics, although I think if you treat it topically and keep it clean you should be fine. I suspect that will heal up just fine. These little guys are surprisingly tough...Good luck!

5. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    I would bet that if you keep it clean and keep some blu-kote on it it will heal. I would at least try and if things take a turn for the worse then cull.

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Ive had that happen before. All I did was put them in a cage with food and water, keep them quiet. I didnt even treat with anything, just left them alone, and they were fine. In fact I had a wheaten ameraucana baby that got stuck in wire between my kennels, and the hens picked her head horribly. I couldnt even see if she had eyes left, all the feathers were picked off her head and her head was a bloody pulp. I didnt know what to do with her; I figured she'd just die anyway, so I brought her inside, put her in a box with food and water.

The next day she was alive, and one eye squinted open a bit, so I kept her. Its now a month later. She still hasnt got feathers on her head, but its all healed over, both eyes are open, and she is absolutely spoiled rotten. Still stays in the house during the day. I put her outside with the rest in the evening, and she is just fine, running with everyone else. She is still too small to put in the coop at night, and follows me to the house anyway at night, which Im afraid is starting a trend.

I had a hatch of 5 this past weekend, and put her with them to see what she'd do...I want her to have some company. They are all hanging out together like the best of friends, and she's 5 times their size. She's a sweetie!!!

Anyway, moral is, give her a chance. I dont think it looks like a fatal injury.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with boogiedog, keep her seperated and use neosporin (without pain reliever). I dont recommned Blu Kote.

8. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    This is the mental block I can't seem to get passed...the neck skin is GONE. Will a new layer regenerate from that mess?

9. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Just read this. I appreciate your input!

10. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    It should heal fine stop worrying . As long as you keep it clean and seperate her she should heal up. The skin will regrow its only the top layer. Wash it out with saline to make sure nothing like dirt is in the wound or it will get infected and then you will lose more skin! They are expremely strong critters and get over lots worse!!!!!

Oesdog - DOn;t give up it isn;t not as bad as you think and she doesn;t feel half the pain that you do looking at it!! -[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by