Chick was sick and died today, others are fine..

amama

Chirping
Mar 16, 2016
Midwest US
We have 16 adult hens, and 8 "teenagers" as we call them:) They are about 3 months old. Yesterday we noticed one of the younger chicks had a really messy wet bottom, and was lethargic and weak. It was pretty hot out, so we made sure she had water and feed, and I washed her off and inspected her. I didn't see any evidence of parasites, but dusted her just in case. She seemed to perk up a tiny bit in the afternoon, but died today. She was weak and crying, and thrashing, eyes rolling:(

I've never had a sick chicken, what could that be from?
All the other hens look healthy. I've checked them and see no evidence of parasites, or worms in their stools, but dusted them in case. The coop was cleaned well last weekend, and spot cleaned this week, so she wasn't walking around in filth.

Should I be doing anything else preventative for the other hens? I have Corid for coccidiosis (from our goats), should I put that in the water?

Thanks

Hey!

Sorry for your loss:( I’ve experienced the same thing as well. I’ve lost one of my leghorns just last week and she had the same messy hind end and lethargic look. Just to be safe and protect the rest of my flock I started them on a 7 day corid prevention cycle. You can either do 7 or 24 days. But make sure you don’t mix anything else in the water with the corid! Let me know how your babies are doing later on :)

We have 16 adult hens, and 8 "teenagers" as we call them:) They are about 3 months old.... She seemed to perk up a tiny bit in the afternoon, but died today...

Sorry for your loss. This is my first year with laying hens and my 10 chicks are now only 3 weeks old, so I don't have much advice to offer. I was told to expect, and plan for, some loss just because things happen. Sounds like your other birds are healthy and happy.

IF that ever happens again, you should remove the sick bird from the flock, just incase it is something contagious.
Anytime one of mine seems off I remove them from the flock, put them in my big crate and keep a close eye on them, examine them to determine what it might be, and give them the best I have to offer atm. All of us here have had this happen at one time or another and there are lots of people here that can help that have vast knowledge.
Sorry for your loss and I hope the rest of your flock stays healthy:)
Maybe @Eggcessive @casportpony or @Wyorp Rock can give you some insight

Back
Top Bottom