Chick wasp sting

drj1985

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2018
Hi guys, I'm English and we live in Spain. My poor 4-week old chick has a nasty, humongous, what I believe to be as we've been inundated with them, wasp sting on its eye (pictures provided). It's been there for what feels like a lifetime and we've tried bathing it with olive oil, English tea and chamomile tea, but I just want to know if it will get better or not. There's pus or green mucus and you can't even see it's eye anymore. The poor thing can't see, looks like the elephant man and I am heartbroken. Her siblings are pipping her to the post at mealtimes (but I can confirm she is eating and drinking). Any help? Thanks kindly.

Attachments

• chick 1.jpg
    chick 1.jpg
    822.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Chick 2.jpg
    Chick 2.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 15
Hi guys, I'm English and we live in Spain. My poor 4-week old chick has a nasty, humongous, what I believe to be as we've been inundated with them, wasp sting on its eye (pictures provided). It's been there for what feels like a lifetime and we've tried bathing it with olive oil, English tea and chamomile tea, but I just want to know if it will get better or not. There's pus or green mucus and you can't even see it's eye anymore. The poor thing can't see, looks like the elephant man and I am heartbroken. Her siblings are pipping her to the post at mealtimes (but I can confirm she is eating and drinking). Any help? Thanks kindly.
The eye is infected. Does she have anything inside her beak too? It's hard to tell from the photos.
Does she have any respiratory symptoms like coughing, sneezing or mucous from the nostrils?

If you have vet care, that would be best. From what I can see, the pus will need to be removed and she will likely need some antibiotics.

@Eggcessive @casportpony

Is the dried pus in the eye or above the eye? If it is inside the eye, it needs to be squeezed out. First, use a warm wet compress on it while holding the chick for about 20 minutes, rewarming the cloth to keep it warm. You may need to attempt getting the pus out 2 or 3 times, letting the chick rest. After getting the pus out, use some Terramycin, neosporin or other antibiotic ointment or vetericyn in the eye, twice a day. Caution, these videos are gross and graphic, but show how to get hardened pus out of eyes:

Thanks everyone. I'm really squeamish, so I'd have to get someone else to do it.. Just been to our vet and he said we'd have to travel to the city to see the bird vet as he said he doesn't have the tools to deal with it! . Bit disappointed with his response as the City is far, but there will defo be someone we know to do it. She has crust in and around her beak too, so thinking the wasp got there, guess we're lucky it didn't get into her throat. I just don't like doing things without the go ahead from a medical professional. What if we hurt her? BTW, we're new to all this.... Thanks guys.

We got a more experienced neighbour with hens to help out and squeeze out the pus then put on some antibacterial cream.

Attachments

• IMG-20181012-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20181012-WA0006.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 8
Good for you to get a neighbor to help. Not sure why the vet refused to help, since it doesn’t take any special tools to get pus out, except for perhaps some tweezers and cotton or gauze. Rinse the eye with saline or water and apply some antibiotic cream twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom