1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Waterer

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by slipshift, Sep 23, 2015.

1. slipshift

slipshift Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2013
    Mtn. View, Arkansas
    We put our chicks outside at 1 week, they are now 3 weeks old and a problem we had was the waterer would get dirty and clogged. Our solution was to use a catfood can. It is attached to the coop frame with a drywall screw. Now the water stays clean and is easy to refill through the chicken wire. I'm sure someone has mentioned this before since it's so easy but I thought I'd add it anyway.

Jim

[​IMG]

2. slipshift

slipshift Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2013
    Mtn. View, Arkansas
    Update to the cleanliness of the chick waterer, one of our chicks (Sweety) found they make an excellent foot bath. Even so, it stays much cleaner than the traditional chick waterer.

Jim

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    How many chicks do you have? Seems pretty small for a water dish.

4. ElainesChickens

ElainesChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    Tennessee
    My rooster combs are very big, so i couldnt use a regular water. Small metal buckets attched to sides of pens work. High enough they would get dirty.

5. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

My sediments exactly... You average hen drinks up to 500ml a day, up to twice that amount in hot weather...

Sure chicks drink less, but even my eighteen current week old chicks are drinking about a liter a day, averaging out to about 55ml per chick per day and they are only a week old... Your average cat food can is only 150ml give or take, that is hardly enough water for even one growing chicken IMO, unless it's filled multiple times all day long...

IMO horizontal nipples are the way to go...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by