Chick Weak...help pleas.. CRUSTY????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by UrbanMama, Nov 6, 2008.

1. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have a baby that was born this morning. It still seems kind of weak. It's not really walking around or stable. When my BO's hatched last week, they were really energetic, squawking etc.

The eggs that I hatched from were supposed to be either BR or Polish. I assumed the polish was the smaller of the eggs (they weren't marked) as they seemed two different sizes.

The one that hatched this morning looks like a black or blue cochin chick! The part that worries me is that it came from one of the small eggs (think small like a silkie egg) Could this have been a pullet egg? And if so, will this little muffin make it? Anything I can do to boost it's chances? I've heard of vitamins...what kind? Was it the Poly Vi Sol that you can buy at Walmart?

Arghhh! [​IMG] I just want this baby to make it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  2. did you try some yogurt? I gave mine terimmicin but I ordered them from mcmurray so I don't know just how old they were when I got them, and the ones I hatched were running around as soon as they were dry. marrie

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Yes, it's the Enfamil Poly-vi-sol. Don't get the one with added iron.

4. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I've had a couple hatch like that, and they're generally fine after 24 or so hours. Try the vitamins, and try to give it time- i'm sure it'll bounce back if it's just tired. Being born is hard work.

5. UrbanMama

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Dangit!!!! That's the only one Walmart had, so I bought it. Grrr...

sundance :

did you try some yogurt? I gave mine terimmicin but I ordered them from mcmurray so I don't know just how old they were when I got them, and the ones I hatched were running around as soon as they were dry. marrie

Can they have yogurt this early? It's only like 6 hrs old. I do have some in the fridge though....

All I can do is wait and see I guess. It may be okay, it's just very tiny and doesn't seem as active as my last batch. The other egg hasn't pipped yet and I just have a bad feeling that it's not going to. I'm afraid this little one is going to be alone.​

6. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Give it a little bit of sugar water. You may have to use a dropper to get it to drink this early. Discontinue sugar after 24 hours and start giving vitamins.

7. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

This is from dlunicorn - cant take credit...

If you do not have that then you can make your own emergency electrolyte solution:
    (emergency electrolyte solution WHO):
    1 cup of water
    2 tsp. sugar
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp baking soda
    (make fresh daily)

HTH​

8. UrbanMama

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sorry for being an overprotective Mama! She (hopefully) is doing much better. She has excellent lungs and peeps very loud for how tiny she is [​IMG] She's crusty though. Especially her lower back? Is that normal? What is up?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  9. UrbanMama

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

10. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    She looks normal for a new baby [​IMG] I swear, mine took forever to dry. Truly. I have a still air, so it was coming up on the 48 hour mark before they got vaguely fluffy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by