Chick weighted to one side

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SarahFair, Jan 27, 2010.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I have a silkie chick that hatched out in the wee hours of yesterday morning. At first I didnt notice anything wrong with it. I moved them to the brooder after fluffed out about 4 pm yesterday. I came back to check on everything not too much long after and he was just laying on his side chirping.

Ive tried everything. Sugar water, hand feeding, dipping his beak..
    He does drink a little but wont eat much. I put him in a wipe box with some bedding and shut the lid leaving the lip open where the wipes come out. Hes got heat and shade.

It kinda looks like he had a stroke. His leg on the side moves but its like the other is 10x stronger. The eye on the side he lays on is always 1/2 shut but I dont know if thats from him scratching it..

Any ideas?

2. untamed_spirit

untamed_spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Witley, UK
    I dont know what causes this, but I have had chicks with similar symptoms. Unfortunately I have not yet had any survive [​IMG]
    They dont seem to eat properly due to the disorientation and often just fade out [​IMG]
    Sorry I couldnt be of further help [​IMG]

3. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Thanks.

The chick is still alive but earlier was doing a kind of gagging motion. When it poked its tounge out it went to the side. I noticed there was a thick clear film so I opened the chicks beak and blew down its throat to break it.
    Now its just laying on its stomach with its feet hanging behind it chirping..

4. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    I am going thru the same identical situation this AM. Got a bunch of wonderfully healthy birds from McMurray Hatchery, and rushed to get them on Sunday AM. Opened box and one was lying on its side (seemingly dead to me, a first timer), so I tended to the others... dipping beaks adjusting heat lights etc... When I went back to "dead bird" he twitched a bit.... My son then too the time to warm him up and feed him water with a syringe and voila! he started chirping.. However he is tiny, looks as if he had a stroke, I dont think he is eating at all and he seems to be wasting away. What is humane? DO I keep hand tending? He is unsteady, and falls over and looks as if he has Parkinson's disease.... ANy hint's would be nice. Right now he is under my sweatshirt sleeping on my chest.
    Peter

5. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Little guy bit the dust this afternoon. Did everything I knew how, and searched the forums till he took the last breath. Next time a quick cull. Hated to see him/her suffer without intervening. (SIGH) Off to wash some pasty butts and have a Scotch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by