Chick who lost her down but is really slow to grow feathers.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lythander, May 18, 2010.

1. lythander

lythander New Egg

May 18, 2010
    Second year with Chicks, and when the runt-ish chick of the group seemed to be missing feathers from her wing, then her back, we figured she was descending the pecking order and treated with some neosporin. But it was always a bit odd, since there was no blood.

Now she's still the smallest, and her wings have feathered in OK, but her back has lost its down and hasn't feathered in. They're headed out to the coop soon, and I'm worried about this one. Thoughts?

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    There doesn't necessarily need to be blood for there to be feather picking. My best guess is that your other chicks are having fun pulling her feather down out, especially since she's the runt. Have you seen them picking at her at all? There are several products out there that can be used to prevent picking (I think one's called Blue Kote, but I'm not sure). Another thing you can do is use an infrared heat lamp instead of a white one, if you haven't done that already.

If the weather is decently warm, it's probably okay to put her in the coop, but it may be best to set up a heat lamp somewhere in it in case she needs it. Only you can make a judgment call about that.

Her feathers will come back in either when she molts and gets more of her adult feathers (since she's growing, this should be soon!)

Good luck with her! [​IMG]

3. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    What is your protein level? Just curious....

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I had a little chick just like that.....he wasn't pecked at all.....just slow growing and turned out to be my only rooster! Looks fine now, and he was sooo cuddly and loving because I was worried and paid ALOT of attention to him......

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    There is a (I beleive recessive) gene called "slow feathering gene" - I would not be surprised if this chick has this gene.

6. lythander

lythander New Egg

May 18, 2010
    They're still on "start and gro" so protein is pretty high (I'm at work, but I think it's 21%). I'll have to keep an eye out for the pecking, and try coating her back.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm thinking baby roo. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by