chick wing bone protuding!! help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovechikkenmum, Nov 29, 2017.

1. lovechikkenmum

lovechikkenmum In the Brooder

Nov 29, 2017
    A4650103-1639-4675-B253-8F2762DD054A.jpeg 116F390A-20E2-4089-B678-15446E96FB15.jpeg im not sure exactly what happened but I picked Stevie wonder (chicks name) and saw this!! I was horrified!!!!! Stevie is also blind and I believe he was born blind. He also has a broody hen as a mom with 2 other siblings. There are two roosters who peck Stevie time to time.. maybe this is how this happened.. I put on gloves and softly put antibiotic cream on the injury area and wrapped it moments ago!! I’m not sure what to do!! Culling is not an option and there are no local avian vets near me.. please help!!!!!

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  2. Kusanar

Kusanar Crowing

Apr 30, 2014
    Roanoke area, Va.
    Ouch! I don't have any advice, but I'm commenting in the hopes it pops into the "recent" section and someone else notices it....

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  3. peterlund

peterlund Songster

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    It doesn't look like a fresh new would to my eyes. Almost dried out. Wings are the easiest to get injured, but this is rather severe. A disabled bird will most ALWAYS we picked on and kept apart from food, even by a hen. I am concerned about a good outcome. Good luck. Stevie Wonder sure needs some right about now.

Bridger Davis likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

If Bone is exposed it's almost always a death sentence as infection will be immenent..If the Chick already has issues, Culling is a better option to stop his suffering...Sorry..

5. lovechikkenmum

Nov 29, 2017
    Thank you everyone!! Even though Stevie is blind, he gets everything it needs, water and food. Stevie can run around with the yard with his mother normally and so far he is keeping up healthily.. he doesn’t seem to be acting weird or anything. I have asked my anatomy teacher for advice and says it is possibly a fracture.. I will try to find an avian vet and hopefully try to help my bird. He has a very special place in my heart!!! Thank you everyone

peterlund and Bridger Davis like this.
  6. peterlund

peterlund Songster

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Chickens will instinctively "act normal" when injured.... a way to hide being easy prey i would guess.
    Enjoy him (or her). You are certainly a good chicken caregiver. Good luck.

7. Ohmyheart

Ohmyheart Songster

Mar 27, 2017
    North Little Rock, AR
    I had a chick with a similar injury. I put the wing back the best I could and put antibiotic ointment on her. Checked on her often and made sure it stayed clean.

She is now 4 months old, she can move her wing some but not enough to fly kind of thing. She's not picked on and is with her clutch mates 5 of them who stick together with the other 14 that are 9 and 7 months old.

peterlund likes this.
  8. lovechikkenmum

Nov 29, 2017
    Thank you for letting me know!! It’s nice to know Stevie can atleast have a somewhat normal life and he is not alone!!! He is always with his two brothers (or sisters) and mother and I always put some water in a cup and give him some water myself since he cannot see the water. I will try to keep him and his family in a more secluded area away from my roosters so he will not be bullied on. Thank you!!

peterlund likes this.
  9. Ohmyheart

Ohmyheart Songster

Mar 27, 2017
    North Little Rock, AR
    i think that is a good plan. Since he does have more then one challenge making things easier for him is best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: