CHICK WINGS GROW STRAIGHT UP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jennh, May 19, 2009.

1. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Hi! would anyone know what causes a chicks wings to grow straight up in the air? I have a chick that this is happening to. Will they eventually lay flat? I will post a pic as soon as I take one.

Thanks!
    Jen

2. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Do you mean the feathers on the wings are growing straight up? If that is what you mean then you probably have some sort of frizzle. If that is not what you meant then sorry I have not the foggiest idea but hopefully someone else will have a suggestion once you get a picture. Good Luck

3. jennh

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Yes, that's what I meant. Straight up! The wierdest thing:lol:
    It's supposed to be a black copper marans. I have two of them, different hatches. This one is the youngest. I also noted that the tips of the feathers of this one are white, but not the other one.

Jen

4. ArizonaNessa

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    The only thing I can think of that would result in feathers growing that way is if a frizzle snuck in there somewhere. Maybe what you actually have are some sort of frizzle marans ! Hey that would be funny and cool looking at the same time. [​IMG]

5. jennh

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Ok, I need some help here. I uploaded a pic of the "frizzle" chick, but I can't figure out how to post it ;o( DUH

Thanks!
    Jen

6. ArizonaNessa

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I am not sure exactly how you are supposed to do it so I upload mine to photobucket and copy the IMG code and then paste it in your post. I am not even sure if its okay for me to promote photobucket here [​IMG]

7. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    You can click UPLOAD at the top of the page, then copy the image code.

8. FortuneFad

FortuneFad New Egg

May 19, 2009
    My first thought was "Angel Wing". I know ducks can get it from too much protein in their diet, but I'm not sure if chickens can get it too. Look that up & see if it is relevant to your problem. If not, my second guess would be a genetics issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by