Chick with 2 rectums?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bndunlap90, Mar 13, 2017.

1. bndunlap90

bndunlap90 New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    Sounds like an awkward adult video... :lol:

I work for Tractor Supply, and have worked at several other feed stores in the past. Ive come into contact with thousands of chicks and abnormalities, but never this. It genuinely appears that this chick has 2 booties. I could be wrong, though. Does anyone have any input on care?

He's currently quarantined as he's had frequent pasty butt. (On both sides) but i check on him often and affectionately call him Double Trouble.

[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi[​IMG] Welcome To BYC

It looks like two vents to me. I have seen a few of posts where there have been 2 vents.

It looks like both of Double Trouble's vents are functioning. Gently wash his bum in warm running water to help get it cleared. Dry him off well. You can apply some hemorrhoid cream to help reduce the swelling. You can also use something like Vetericyn since you are at the store.

Keep him warm but not too hot - this can make pasty butt worse - 85-90F would be good - and see that he has room to move out from under the lamp. Watch his actions -a little one that stays huddled under the lamp all the time is chilly, if he stays away from the lamp completely he's too warm. Find the right balance of heat for him - you may have to adjust the heat up/down.

Put some vitamins/electrolytes in his water and watch to see if he is drinking well. Staying hydrated is important. You can also give him wet chick starter, this may help too.

I don't know how survivable this will be, but it never hurts to help and let him know the warmth of someone caring for and loving him.

Keep us posted on his progress.
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/03/pasty-butt-in-chicks-causestreatment.html

3. chameleon

chameleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Poor little guy, I'd love to know how he does. And [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is she still at TSC? If so, I would offer her to someone for free, explaining that she will need her bottom kept clean. Or raise her yourself. As Wyorp Rock posted, there have been numerous other chicks in threads here if you search at the top of this page. Most of these chickens seem to do okay, but can have messy bottoms at first, since they pass droppings from both vents. Some of those chickens in the threads laid eggs out of one side. Welcome to BYC.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  5. bndunlap90

bndunlap90 New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    No clue why I didn't get notification of replies, but thank you! Double Trouble was doing quite well when he went to his new home yesterday. His owner was happy to take him. [​IMG]

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thanks for the update! I'm glad he was doing well enough to go to a new home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by