Chick with a backwards head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alyssa_owens, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Let die on its own

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Go ahead and get it over with

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Alyssa_owens

Alyssa_owens Hatching

Mar 18, 2018
    GRAPHIC!!! well I had a chick hatch 3 days late and it struggled to get out. It hatched this morning and I didn’t see it until this afternoon. It’s head is literally on backwards. It’s not going to live but I don’t know what to about not letting it suffer. It can’t even walk.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  2. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    I’d make 100% sure there is something wrong, if so cull. It could hang on for days or longer and it would be cruel to let it die on its own.

Culling is something you gotta be prepared for when keeping animals. I had to cull a baby a few weeks ago.

drewskimac likes this.
  3. drewskimac

drewskimac Songster

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    GRAPHIC!!!! WARNING!!!:

Okay, so sometimes they look a bit weird when freshly hatched. However, being that late and if its been that long you are probably right about it being deformed. The best thing to do is to either cut/twist its head off or drop it in a bucket of water. Preferably the former, but I understand that not everybody has the heart for that. You could just let nature take it's course, but that would prolong suffering. It's up to you - it's not a fun situation and you should take care of it however you feel the most comfortable.

4. TattooedChicks

TattooedChicks Songster

Jan 21, 2017
    Kansas City
    Yikes! I’d probably cull if it were my chick. I’ve not had to cull one yet, but when we have kittens born with severe deformities we would wrap them in a towel and place them in the freezer. They’d go quickly and quietly that way, if you can’t stomach doing it manually.

5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    :confused:

Looks to me like its just laying oddly against the wall.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  6. Alyssa_owens

Alyssa_owens Hatching

Mar 18, 2018
    well I think it also had to do with humidity issues because I only had it at 45 the entire 21 days. Most of the chicks hatched out of the wrong side of the egg. Could the humidity cause that? (I added the graphic part, sorry)

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    It could be that a drop of Poultry Nutri Drench MIGHT bring it around. It had a difficult hatch. It made it out without help? Sometimes it takes chicks up to 24 hours to sort out the "hatching stress" issues from the "congenital deformity" issues. I once had a chick born with curled toes. In the business of life, and the hatch, I delayed dealing with the orthotics for the toes until the next morning. The next morning, I couldn't find the chick, b/c the toes had straightened out. Your chick may be such a one. Though I doubt it. Not being there, and not getting to see the chick in real life, I can't make the judgement call. Only you can do that. But, if you think this chick has a chance, you might try getting a tiny bit of PND to wick into it's beak. Do not put a drop directly into it's mouth. @Blooie uses a q-tip soaked in PND, and wipes that on the chick's beak. You run huge risk of aspiration, but if you do nothing, the outcome looks extremely bleak. If the chick seems to make improvement, follow up with PND 2 - 3 x/day, and offer sugar water to her. If no improvement in 24 hours, then you could choose to cull. I use a pair of sharp garden clippers. Wrap the chick in paper towel and have a paper bag handy. I can cull a chick without ever having to see any blood, or even see the chick. (place the clippers in the correct position, cover with paper towel, clip and drop into the bag.)

oregonkat and BantyChooks like this.
  8. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Crowing

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    If it was 3 days hatching it was poorly positioned plus you have some temp and humidity issues. It's head isn't on backwards. I would let it rest. Roll it over off it's back and see if it improves in 24 hours. Don't need to do anything yet.

9. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Yes. Humidity too high causes the chick to get too big to properly position herself for the hatch. The egg must loose the right amount of weight, and the air cell must be the right size for the chick to position properly. I run my humidity at 30 - 40% until lock down. Lay eggs flat at day 14 so the chicks can position.

10. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    What Percheron says!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: