Chick with a blister under its foot??

annmarie33

Chirping
Jun 22, 2015
i have 5 new chicks and from morning to afternoon one chicks feet were being attacked and pecked constantly by the others. I inspected them all that morning so I know there wasn't any blood or wounds. It's like they were just picking on it. It's toes were bright red and some parts bleeding. I separated it and it's looking better but one foot seems to have a blister of sorts under it. Do you think it's from the pecking? Anything I should do? I guess I need to wait until his feet are healed to put him with the others. So strange I've never had chicks do any pecking unless the chick was about to die and just laying there....poor thing

Are these chicks all just a few days old? Does the injured chick seem alert and active, or sick? Sometimes a red brooder lamp can help with preventing pecking. They can be raised to reduce the temperature. If you can get BluKote, sometimes that can color the wound and help to prevent pecking. Another treatment would be Nustock Cream to the wound. Both of those are available at feed stores.

Back
Top Bottom