Chick with a bruised belly

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bryonyl95, Nov 23, 2012.

1. bryonyl95

bryonyl95 New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    Hi,
    I have recently hatched some eggs but one of them has hatched with what looks like a bruised stomach. Does anyone know what this is and whether it will cause the chick to have any lasting problems? Also, all of the chickens seem to randomly fall asleep, almost as if they have narcolepsy, is that normal?
    Thanks

2. bird sitter

bird sitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Pics...?

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

Sometimes a newborn chick will have what looks like a piece of scab stuck to it's navel. It's perfectly normal and will fall of by itself after a few days. If that's what you're seeing? A pic would help, yes!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  4. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Need a pic of the chicks belly to know on that. But yes it's normal for any newborn/new hatched animal to randomly fall asleep. They typically sleep more then they are awake the first day. And slowly everyday they are awake more.

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Wondering if you mean what my chick Below had, it has since been absorbed and scab fell off.....
    I have been watching her..... and it took about 4 days...no blood just large at the umbilicle area
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by