chick with a bum leg...what to do? (Updates w/video)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BloominOrchid, Aug 19, 2010.

1. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    So one of my new week old chicks has a bum leg [​IMG]
    She is getting around eating drinking pooping and all but hops on her one good leg and holds the other one up.
    I have looked and see no visible breaks. but the elbow/knee does look swollen.
    There is nothing in the brooder for them to hop on, so Im at a loss [​IMG]
    I did separate her, but found the other chicks got in with her and later her to them. So I gave up on that and they all give each other ample space, so Im not to worried about her getting trampled [​IMG]...any thoughts on what to do?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
  3. shanonspeeps

shanonspeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    Roll Tide Country
    So where'd you get your chicks from? I've got a week old chick that has the same problem. You can pm me if you'd rather not say on the board.

Shanon

4. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I had the same thing - I was able to separate (she was getting knocked over and couldn't get to food - she was also MUCH smaller than the others) for a couple of weeks, keeping her right next to the brooder with her siblings. Once she got a bit bigger, and her leg seemed better, I put her back in and kept an eye on her. That was several weeks ago and although she is still tiny she is walking fine and keeping up with the pack. Good luck!

5. BloominOrchid

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    shes from My pet chicken
    She uses it sometimes but like to hold it up...going to check that web page posted above.
    Thanks!

6. BloominOrchid

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    great info on the web page! I saved it, Loved the little chicks in the chairs!

7. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I had a chick get stomped on and smushed under chicken wire. It was terrible. I knew the poor fella wasn't going to survive. The whole leg was twisted, purple and swollen. Someone suggested to me the polyViSol baby vitamin drops and it works like a miracle. You can get them at walmart, walgreens or any drug store for about $10. I know its a tad pricey, but its crazy how much it works. Just get the no iron formula. Give it about 3 drops a day. I hope this helps and please keep us updated :)

8. BloominOrchid

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    adding it to my shopping list! Thanks!! [​IMG]

9. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    No problem, Ihope it helps!

10. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    If you get the baby vitamins (Poly Vi Sorb) get without iron!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by