Chick with a chill?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lfoose, Apr 27, 2008.

1. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Last weekend I put our 4 wk old chicks out in the coop in a cage. They have a lamp on at night for heat. The temps have ranged from 60-80 during the day and 45-70 at night.

I noticed that for the past two days my bantam chick has been quite and puffed up. Now usually this one is spunky. I brought her in last night thinking maybe she was cold. She seems to have bouts of perking up is still spends most of her time sitting and puffed.

Her poo's look normal. Even thought she is eating/drinking fine, she seems to have lost a bit of weight.

The other chicks she was with behave and act normal. To the best of my knowledge she hasn't eaten anything bad. Though when I went out last night to get her, I found a mouse had gotten into one of the feed bins.

Is it possible that for some reason this one has gotten a chill? If so, how long should I keep her in the house? Will she be ok?

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Mice and rats can carry Salmonella. You may want to make sure that their feces is not where your chicks are. If she did eat any of the mice feces she could be sick and that is why their is weight loss. Keep us posted on her.

3. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    If she did eat the mouse poo, is there anything I can do for her to help her get better?

4. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Tetracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder. It is a Antibiotic that you can get at your local farm store. The package is a little hard to understand I mixed 1 teaspoon powder to 1 Gallon of water and change your water daily. You may need to do this for 7-14 days.

Keep me posted I would like to know how she is.

5. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    I will definately keep you posted.

I have Terramycin powder. Is that ok?

6. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    That should be fine as well. It is worth a shot, in case she did eat mouse droppings.

7. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Well, she has been on the Terramycin for 3 days now. She still looks a bit puffed and ragged but her mood has perked up alot. I think I'll keep her on for a full 14 days and then take her back outside to join the rest of the world.

Thanks!

8. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Great to hear that she is starting to perk up. Keep us updated.

9. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I have a chick with a similar problem- actualy there were 4- down to 1 : (
    Can I store the terramycin water in the fridge? or do I have to make new everyday?I hate to toss out so much.I know I Have to toss out what is in the waterer but I made a whole gallon on day 1-and told the kids- don't drink this lemonade

10. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I am not sure about the frig.idea. I have always just tossed it out and gave fresh everyday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by