chick with a slightly splayed leg, or...?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Autumn Mama, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    So, my new set of chicks is one week old today, and the smallest, and weakest chick has a leg issue. It can walk, but hobbles quickly to get where it's going. It appears to be the right leg that is slightly bent, and is weaker than the left leg. The leg doesn't quite 'sit' under the chick when it's on it's feet. Make sense? When the chick preens on its' left side, it topples sometimes.

It stands around alot, and can stay on its' feet when the other 9 go running by in a chick hurry to the other side of the brooder. It gets crowded at times, into the brooder corner. It is eating, drinking, and the poops look healthy.

Should I attempt to bandaid the legs together? Or just leave it? Are vitamins crucial? (It eats a great chick starter, non-medicated) I don't want to cull her, unless she seems to head downhill....

I've heard about joints popping out of place, could that be what it is? Is it treatable?

We purchased the chick on the same day it hatched, and it has been standing since the first day. I can't think of any other info...Oh, I have fed it some hard boiled egg yolk last night, and kept it cuddled on a towel with me over the past 24 hours twice, so it could have some peace.

Sorry for the monster post, just trying to be clear and offer a useful description...[​IMG]
    Any input would be grreat!!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Get a band aid on NOW... leave it for a week to 10 days. It will work wonders.

3. Autumn Mama

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    Mahonri, or others, can you elaborate as to why you suggest this?

I have a few details in my original post that seem to be different than the *typical* spraddle leg cases I've read about...so I would like someone to point out specifics if they can. Thanks!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with Mahonri. I have seen some tape a piece if pipe cleaner on the crooked leg. Band-AidÂ’s work too. But the sooner the better. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Autumn Mama

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    So, when I secure the legs with a bandaid, which I have on hand, do I need to straighten the leg first, or will it naturally straighten as the bandaid holds it in place?

This demo from A BYC member was only somewhat useful, as the main areas of interest, namely the chick's legs and the placement of the bandaid, where the leg was held etc are blocked from view by hands and fingers...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20205

I have heard to leave the bandaid for 24 hours and then check it...possibly repeating another 24 hours...does that sound right?

Can someone help with my questions? TIA!!! [​IMG]

6. Autumn Mama

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    I'm bumping this to see if someone can help...thanks!!

*Please read my original post...

1) Will my chick benefit from some assistance...vitamins, Bandaid, etc...

2) Do I need to reposition the leg first or will it reposition itself while the Bandaid is on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by