Chick with a strange eye.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MilleFleurs, Mar 24, 2017.

1. MilleFleurs

MilleFleurs New Egg

Mar 24, 2017
    My 5 day old Mille Fleur d'uccle chick had it's eye closed when I brought it home Monday, and yesterday I noticed it was open.
    It looked strange, I'm wondering if it's just deformed or if something is wrong. Today it was closed, so I started looking online, and I looked through diseases for poultry, in which there were no symptoms of running noses or breathing issues. None of the other chicks have it (Thank goodness...for now) and I'm starting to consider if I should separate it. Just a little bit ago the chick opened its eye and it was the same as when it was open yesterday. I have pictures below, one of each eye and one looking straight down the beak. If it should go on antibiotics, what should I get?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It may be that the chick got pecked in the eye. It looks sore and weepy. I would flush it out with saline eye drops, found near other eye drops in the drug store or Walmart. Or you can use Vetericyn eye wash or eye gel from a farm store. Look into it since it may have dirt or pine shavings in there. I got some milles once with some other banties, and one of the OEG chicks went around pecking all the eyes of the others. They will peck anything bright and shiny. I would make sure that it is eating and drinking well, or help it, since it may not see well out of the eye. If it acts sleepy, it needs water with electrolytes and vitamins--dip it's beak several times every hour into the water.

3. MilleFleurs

MilleFleurs New Egg

Mar 24, 2017
    Thank you for your welcome, and for your reply very much. The chick eats and drinks, and I would say the most active out of all the others. I will be sure to keep an eye on it and pick some drops up soon. If anything changes, good or bad I'll update. Thank you again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by