Chick with a tweaked beak

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MyShunshyn, May 7, 2011.

1. MyShunshyn

MyShunshyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    Sperrassoville, OK
    [​IMG]
    This is a close up of one of our Bantams that we got last Saturday, after we got him/her home I realized that there is a problem with it's beak. It seems to eat and drink ok and is growing well but I am wondering if this is going to be a problem later? Or will this chick survive?
    I am kinda worried and I don't want it to suffer but it doesn't seem to be.
    Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Awww...she is so cute...I'm so sorry about her little beak. [​IMG] II don't know anything about that to be able to help tho. I'm sorry.

3. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I've got a 6 week old Australorp with major cross beak. She is smaller than the others, (shorter legs), waddles like a duck, her feet look to be different sizes from one another, but she hangs with the best of them. When I let them out of the run, she's the last one out, and sometimes stays inside the run while the others range.
    I've decided to let nature do the work. If I cull, she won't be able to prove her worth. I feel like she deserves a shot, but will humanely handle the situation if I begin to see changes for the worse.
    You can google "cross beak" or "scissor beak" and probably read up on it.
    I'll value your decision and others opinions. It's a double edged sword, so to speak.
    Good luck with what ever you decide.

4. JosieChick

JosieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    We have an ameracauna hen that is a year and a half old named Crooked Beak! She is a mess, her beak is so bad that the bottom sticks completely sideways from her face but she is a spirited, pesty little thing and I don't think that girl knows there is anything wrong with her. We make her "slop" to eat (wet layer pellets with warm water to thick soup consistency) and she loves it. It is easier for her to "shovel" in the moistened food. She is just a yard ornament, never laid an egg and probably never will but she is funny and has a ton of personality. She even tries to eat stuff off the ground with her tongue and loves to hang out with her two huge light brahma sisters she hatched with. Every time someone comes over they worry about her suffering but the day she tells us she is suffering we will know and she is a happy little bugger. Good luck with your baby, there is a lot of info on here about this problem.

p.s. She LOVES oatmeal too and it is one of the only snacks she can eat very easily so every morning I cook the ladies their porridge. Cool with water for summer and nice and warm for winter. [​IMG]

5. brahmapapa

brahmapapa Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had several crossed beak chickens over the years and they lived well into old age. they are fine as a pet, but do not allow them to breed if you are collecting eggs to hatch as the trait is inherited.
    The chick is cute, good luck.

6. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    i've got a 4 week old one, so far, so good. I decided to keep her instead of selling her like originally planned, i've fallen in love with her and can't imagine selling her to someone that might eat her! [​IMG] she's the sweetest one out of them all too.

7. hunter109

hunter109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    moscow ohio
    i have one like that and would love for her to live dose that mean she wont lay eggs jw because thats the main reason i got them well let me know plz

8. MyShunshyn

MyShunshyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    Sperrassoville, OK
    Well, I definitely don't plan to cull I just wanted some opinions on what this little ones life will be like.
    From most of your posts it seems like it is a manageable condition and not the worse case out there.

This little cutie seems to manage the chick starter pretty well and can scarf a meal worm as fast as the best of them so maybe things are not so bad.

Thanks for all of the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by