Chick with abscess?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Oddball Flock, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Oddball Flock

Oddball Flock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    California
    I have a black sex link that I bought from tractor supply. She's maybe a month old. She has a bump a little smaller than the size of a pingpong ball which I'm assuming is an abscess. It's soft like it's filled with puss. it's between her breast and her wing. it doesn't seem to bother her at all. she still acts the same as usual. i'm wondering if i should lance it, if so then any pointers? i also have Pen-G on hand, should i give her that? and if so, how much/often? Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Isn't that just the crop?

3. Oddball Flock

Mar 16, 2017
    California
    i'm new to raising chickens. would the crop be directly centered of the breasts? this bump is on the side of her right breast

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    The crop is located over to their right side, not the middle. There are numerous posts from newbies thinking the same thing and it always turns out to be the crop. Remove food overnight and check it again in the morning. It should have gone down considerably by then.

5. Oddball Flock

Mar 16, 2017
    California
    thank you! i will try that tonight before doing anything else

6. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Please do not do anything drastic until the chick is at least displaying symptoms of being unwell. I recently did crop surgery on a pullet with an impacted crop and I can assure you that opening them up should be a very last resort!

7. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

The crop gets bigger when it's full of food. There is nothing wrong with that

8. Oddball Flock

Mar 16, 2017
    California
    Thank you everyone!! It was my mistake as a newbie, i feel dumb. I didn't do anything to her. Just took her food away at night and gave it back in the morning and it had gone down slightly.

Another question, do chicks NEED grit in their diet?

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Grit is needed if you feed anything other than feed.

10. Oddball Flock

Mar 16, 2017
    California
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by