chick with an injured mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cindy2348, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Cindy2348

Cindy2348 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Oxford, Nova Scotia
    We were moving the chicken tractor today and just as we were about it set it down one BO chick dove for a bug and the edge of the tractor was set on his head. We lifted it right up and he was quite shaken. He did not close his mouth tight and I thought it was just from stress. He spent the rest of the day in the inside part of the tractor on his own but his mouth remained open a bit. Tonight he is out with the rest and is trying to eat but again his mouth will not close. I took him out and checked his beak and nothing seems sore, I can move it and close it with him not complaining. I gave him some yogurt tonight and he was able to get some of it. Is there anything I should be doing for the little one. It is 5.5 weeks old. The others are not bothering him, I say him but I am not really sure what it is. I feel terrible and hope he will be fine, please help with any suguestions.

2. Cindy2348

Jul 31, 2009
    Oxford, Nova Scotia
    Any sugguestions?

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Sounds like you're doing fine. Just keep an eye on it.

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Help him to eat and drink 5 or 6 times a day until he has healed. To make it easier on you and him and so he doesn't get picked on and trampled keep him in the house with you. This way you can monitor how much you have fed him and how much he tries to eat on his own. Make him soft foods like scrambled egg and you can make a wet mash out of his food mixed with Gatorade.

Make sure he stays hydrated. Use a dropper to 'drop' water or gatorade mixed with water on the top/side of his beak and let it roll into his mouth so he can swallow and not inhale it into his lungs.

Be very careful with this though. People can't swallow with their mouths open and I don't know if a chicken can swallow if it can't close it's mouth.

5. Cindy2348

Jul 31, 2009
    Oxford, Nova Scotia
    Thanks for the info, I gave him some wet mash this morning. I had it is a little dish and put his mouth in it and he was able to lap it up with his tongue. I will do this as you said 5-6 times. I will also get some gatorade to mix it with next time!!! The other birds are not bothering him at all so I will leave him with the rest for now. He is not staying inside today either, he is out and running around like the rest. His mouth is 50% better today as in being closed more so it looks like he is on the mend. Poor little fella, I just feel sick about it.
    Thanks again!!!

6. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    It happens to all of us. We do something unintentional and one of the little stinkers gets hurt. Don't feel bad. It sounds like he is doing a lot better this morning. I guess he just needed time for the swelling to go down. Watch to make sure he eats and he'll be good as new!

Happy ending. Love those

7. Cindy2348

Jul 31, 2009
    Oxford, Nova Scotia
    Thanks purpletree23 for all your help, he/she has fully recovered thankfully! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by